PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Broadcom Wireless don't broadcast in 11.04

MorganJarl
May 2nd, 2011, 08:31 PM
I have a Dell Vostro 1400 with a BCM4311 Broadcom wireless card that I just reinstalled with 11.04 from 10.04. I have the drives installed and it seams to be working when i run the 'Additional Drives', but I can't get the wireless adapter broadcasting. I followed the instructions given in the knowledge base on installing Broadcom Wireless, to see if I could get it running and that is where I saw the difference between the example and my computer when writing the 'sudo lshw -C network' command. In the example it said it was broadcasting under configuration (just like my wired networks below) and in mine it does not (see below for copy past). I can't find a tickbox in the systemtray to enable the wirless networking that I had before the update to 11.04 (the 'Enable Networking' tickbox is still there and the wired network works fine - that is how I got online to do this post). I have the hardware switch turned on and I have been in the BIOS and made sure that the Wireless is enabled.

Anyone who knows what could be wrong? Where could I go from here?

Thanks.

morgan@morgan-Vostro-1400:~$ sudo lshw -C network
[sudo] password for morgan:
*-network UNCLAIMED
description: Network controller
product: BCM4311 802.11b/g WLAN
vendor: Broadcom Corporation
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:0c:00.0
version: 01
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list
configuration: latency=0
resources: memory:fe8fc000-fe8fffff
*-network
description: Ethernet interface
product: NetLink BCM5906M Fast Ethernet PCI Express
vendor: Broadcom Corporation
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:09:00.0
logical name: eth0
version: 02
serial: 00:1a:a0:fd:a8:eb
capacity: 100Mbit/s
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm vpd msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd autonegotiation
configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=tg3 driverversion=3.116 firmware=sb v3.04 latency=0 link=no multicast=yes port=twisted pair
resources: irq:45 memory:fe5f0000-fe5fffff
*-network
description: Ethernet interface
physical id: 2
logical name: usb0
serial: 8e:24:ee:77:8f:9f
capabilities: ethernet physical
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=rndis_host driverversion=22-Aug-2005 firmware=RNDIS device ip=192.168.100.100 link=yes multicast=yes

MorganJarl
May 3rd, 2011, 08:01 AM
I did the following and it helped me:

Steve, I have the same wireless network card; i.e. "Broadcom Corporation BCM4311", and the same problem (no wireless connection, even I cannot see the list of wireless networks) after the 11.04 upgrade. My problem is solved after removing "bcmwl-kernel-source" by using Synaptic Package Manager, then installing "firmware-b43-installer" and "b43-fwcutter" again by Synaptic Package Manager. I hope it solves your problem, too.