PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Automatically Switch To Workspace With Active Application (with Compiz?)

pistachepastis
May 2nd, 2011, 07:49 PM
Hi all,

I wondered whether there is a way in Compiz (or some other way) of not just assigning particular applications to default workspaces, but also, when an application is opened, to switch to the designated workspace automatically. (That is, "follow" the active application)

So suppose:
Firefox is assigned to workspace 2.
I am currently in workspace 1, where I launch Firefox.
Firefox opens in workspace 2, but I myself am still in workspace 1.

What I wonder then is: Is there a way of following Firefox, so to speak? That is, in my example, that I switch automatically to workspace 2

I am using Ubuntu 10.10.

Hope this is clear.
Thanks in advance!

Bonster
May 3rd, 2011, 02:43 PM
Enable the plugin called 'Extra WM Actions' in ccsm

Theres a option for 'Activate Demanding Attention Windows'

pistachepastis
May 4th, 2011, 09:08 AM
Great! That did it!

pistachepastis
May 4th, 2011, 11:17 AM
Mmm, I noticed that this works only for applications that actually can demand my attention (for instance an instant message pop-up, or a reminder pop-up), not for, e.g. firefox.

So when I open firefox in workspace 1, it moves to workspace 2, without having a demanding attention button in workspace 1.

Moreover, what the Extra WM plugin still asks is to hit a keystroke. Is there no way of automatically following the window (without keystroke)?

(something what looks similar to Xfce option to "focus on window's own workspace")

pistachepastis
May 8th, 2011, 09:21 PM
I found another (perhaps not so elegant) way.

I wrote a shell script, with a set of wmctrl commands (wmctrl can be obtained through synaptic).

Whenever I click my Firefox button, it runs the script, rather than simply Firefox. The script does the following:
1. it opens firefox
2. sends the window to workspace 2
3. switches to workspace 2
4. brings the window into focus.

Here is the script:

#!/bin/bash
firefox &
sleep 1

wmctrl -r firefox -t 2
wmctrl -s 2
wmctrl -a firefox

I saved the script in my home directory, (named .firefoxredirect.sh)

I made it executable in terminal through:

sudo chmod a+x ~/.firefoxredirect.sh

And then made a "Custom Application Launcher", which executes the command

bash .firefoxredirect.sh

One problem remains. If I launch Firefox from within a different application, the script is not executed. So Firefox moves to the desired workspace only through the Custom Application Launcher.

I tried to solve this using Devil's Pie, but Devil's Pie scripts don't seem to allow the inclusion of bash commands.

Help would be much appreciated.

ibnishak
August 13th, 2012, 02:54 PM
Did anyone make any progress in this matter?

wildmanne39
August 13th, 2012, 07:37 PM
If a post is older than a year or so and hasn't had a new reply in that time, instead of replying to it, create a new thread. In the software world, a lot can change in a very short time, and doing things this way makes it more likely that you will find the best information. You may link to the original discussion in the new thread if you think it may be helpful.