PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Unity - I need help with some customisations

Magnes
May 2nd, 2011, 06:19 PM
To make Unity useful for me I need to make some changes. I wonder if it's possible to:
1. Hide the top panel or (better) remove it completely (I can live without global menu).
2. Make the Unity Launcher work like a panel - so it won't be possible to move windows behind it.

werewolves
May 2nd, 2011, 06:38 PM
To make Unity useful for me I need to make some changes. I wonder if it's possible to:
1. Hide the top panel or (better) remove it completely (I can live without global menu).
2. Make the Unity Launcher work like a panel - so it won't be possible to move windows behind it.

So far as #2, here are some customization instructions:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/29553/how-can-i-configure-unity

Open up the Configuration Editor by Pressing Alt + F2 and typing gconf-editor

Navigate to apps -> compiz-1 -> plugins -> unityshell -> screen0 -> options

Set "Hide Launcher" to "Never".

I do have to say though, the default launcher behavior is one of my favorite things about Unity. Give it a chance.

Magnes
May 2nd, 2011, 06:40 PM
I already set it never to hide but it's still posible to move a window behind it. :( I'm done with Unity anyway. It's almost imposible to customise and I really dislike the top panel and it's integration with maximised windows title bar, it's like the worst thing I ever saw in an UI.
I love the new scrollbars I hope I will be able to use them with my default AWN only setting.