PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Can't make .exe file executable for wine

shaquille
May 2nd, 2011, 05:15 PM
Hello friends, I am using Ubuntu 10.10. I installed wine but till now I didn't use it. Now when I am trying to use it, it ask executable file. So, I tried to make the .exe file executable. I went to the "Properties" of the file --> went to the "Permission" tab. Then when I try to put Tick mark on "Allow executing file as program" I failed. It seems the box don't want to be black!!!! I just cannot put tick mark. So, wine cannot execute any .exe file.
Please help me.

Morbius1
May 2nd, 2011, 05:24 PM
As it turns out you don't have to mark it executable to run on Wine. It's not Wine that's throwing the error it's something called cautious-launcher.

I'll give you 3 ways to circumvent the problem:
[1] Run it from the terminal:

wine "/path/to/exe/file"[2] Fix the file association:
Right click an *.exe file and select Properties -> Open With -> Add -> Use a custom command > type in: wine

In the "Open With" tab mark the "wine" you added as the default ( from the Wine that's already selected) and every time you run an exe it should select the wine without the cautious launcher script.

[3] Fix it at it's source:
Open up as root "Properties" on /usr/share/applications/wine.

What you will see is this:

cautious-launcher %f wine start /unixChange it to this:

wine start /unixI would go with option [2] myself. I don't like messing with system files unless I really have to.

shaquille
May 2nd, 2011, 05:45 PM
As it turns out you don't have to mark it executable to run on Wine. It's not Wine that's throwing the error it's something called cautious-launcher.

I'll give you 3 ways to circumvent the problem:
[1] Run it from the terminal:

wine "/path/to/exe/file"[2] Fix the file association:
Right click an *.exe file and select Properties -> Open With -> Add -> Use a custom command > type in: wine

In the "Open With" tab mark the "wine" you added as the default ( from the Wine that's already selected) and every time you run an exe it should select the wine without the cautious launcher script.

[3] Fix it at it's source:
Open up as root "Properties" on /usr/share/applications/wine.

What you will see is this:
Change it to this:
I would go with option [2] myself. I don't like messing with system files unless I really have to.

Thanks a lot!!! It worked!!!!!!!

MossMethod
July 23rd, 2011, 02:01 PM
I can not figure how to do step number 2 with Gnome 3. custom command box does not come up and when I click wine it does not change the file to be able to run as exe this is frustrating.

With Gnome 3 is it impossible to get command line box bacK?