PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Synaptic cannot connect, whislt internet works

retrodans
May 2nd, 2011, 05:14 PM
When I run sudo apt-get update I get several lines with things such as:

Something wicked happened resolving 'gb.archive.ubuntu.com:http' (-5 - No address associated with hostname)

This was happening whilst I was setting up a new machine, but then, when I went to an ubuntu machine which was already working, I now get the same issue there. Are there issues with certain servers I should be checking status logs for?

Not sure the issue is local, as happened on a pre-existing machine, so has anyone else got this at the moment?

Cheers,
Dan

lechien73
May 2nd, 2011, 05:31 PM
I suppose it's possible that there are issues with the GB servers - have you tried setting the download source to "Main Server" in Software Sources (now accessible via the Ubuntu Software Centre, then Edit -> Software Sources)?

If that still doesn't work, then it could be a router issue. Sometimes Network Manager will make the router the default DNS server - even if the router doesn't forward DNS requests. You can test this by:

Edit the network connection in Network Manager
Click on the IPV4 Settings tab
Change the method from Automatic (DHCP) to Automatic (DHCP) addresses only
Supply the Google Public DNS servers in the DNS fields: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 - or your ISP DNS settings if you know them
Save & test again :)

HTH

poodoopealeoaph
May 2nd, 2011, 05:36 PM
or another thing to check... make sure you dont have updates to run.

retrodans
April 16th, 2012, 09:33 AM
I know this has been some time, but I am just going through checking some old posts. As suggested, it was that there was a problem with the server. After being patient and trying again later, it worked fine.