PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Chromium and other applications do not appear in unity dock when opened

jesse.au
May 2nd, 2011, 04:23 PM
I recently installed Ubuntu 11.04 but when I installed chromium and opened the application, it opened as usual but the icon did not appear in the dock. The only way I could switch to the chromium window would be to alt-tab. Is this just a bug or have I done something wrong.

jesse.au
May 2nd, 2011, 04:33 PM
Also, when I drag the icon of chromium to the unity dock, the dock makes a space for the program but when I drop it, the dock hides and the icon disappears. help!

allpowerful32
May 17th, 2011, 05:14 PM
I have the same problem with Emacs and SublimeText. Neither appears in the dock when launched. I actually like Unity overall, but this is a complete show-stopper. For now, I'm falling back on the Gnome 2 interface, but I'd be grateful if someone would post a work-around (or, even better, if Canonical released an update!).

wildmanne39
May 17th, 2011, 06:37 PM
Also, when I drag the icon of chromium to the unity dock, the dock makes a space for the program but when I drop it, the dock hides and the icon disappears. help!
Hi, when you open a program it should put it in the menu bar, then you right click on it and check keep in launcher.:)

allpowerful32
May 19th, 2011, 04:22 AM
But the problem is, with some programs, it doesn't put them in the "menu bar" (what jesse.au and I have been calling the dock). When I switch to a program that doesn't have an icon in the dock, the "active window" indicator triangle just disappears.

jesse.au
May 19th, 2011, 05:50 AM
I still have the same problem as allpowerful32 (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=1105285) because when I open chromium up, the icon does not even appear in the unity dock. I tried reinstalling it but that did not work either. I made sure chromium was a default application but that did not work either.

wildmanne39
May 19th, 2011, 08:32 AM
But the problem is, with some programs, it doesn't put them in the "menu bar" (what jesse.au and I have been calling the dock). When I switch to a program that doesn't have an icon in the dock, the "active window" indicator triangle just disappears.
Hi, check out the guides in my signature below this text they tell you have to do it.