PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Remove Unity

Nick Hopton
May 2nd, 2011, 04:16 PM
I've just upgraded to 11.04 and don't like Unity, so I'm using Classic (with no effects).

What I'd like to do now is to completely remove Unity from my system. Looking at the package manager, I have the following installed, that all appear to be associated in some way with Unity:

unity
unity-asset-pool
unity-place-applications
unity-place-files
unity-common
gir1.2-unity-3.0
firefox-globalmenu
libunity-misc0
libunity4

We it be safe to remove these packages? I'm only quite new to Ubuntu and still pretty apprehensive about making changes that I don't understand. If it's okay to remove the packages, should I 'completely remove' them?

Regards, Nick.

elliotcroft
May 2nd, 2011, 04:22 PM
They should be.
The firefox-globalmenu one doesn't seem to be linked to unity, though, so don't remove it at the moment.
Make sure that you remember their names, in case you need to reinstall them from command line mode.

collisionystm
May 2nd, 2011, 04:26 PM
let me know if this works

dino99
May 2nd, 2011, 04:36 PM
well its new, not free bug yet, and need you to be used with it.

two cases:
- with unity installed (default), you can log in selecting "classic" then on next boot this previous choice will be your default, so no worry

- if you really want it off, with synaptic: remove/purge both unity & ubuntu-desktop, that it, no trouble. To get it back, simply reinstall ubuntu-desktop.

Nick Hopton
May 2nd, 2011, 08:51 PM
As always, thanks for the help. I did remove all of the Unity packages and everything appears to be working properly in 'Classic'.

Regards, Nick.

temporizer
December 21st, 2011, 07:54 AM
well its new, not free bug yet, and need you to be used with it.

two cases:
- with unity installed (default), you can log in selecting "classic" then on next boot this previous choice will be your default, so no worry

- if you really want it off, with synaptic: remove/purge both unity & ubuntu-desktop, that it, no trouble. To get it back, simply reinstall ubuntu-desktop.

upon removing ubuntu-desktop, will this break classic (with effects) or classic (without effects) using the gnome desktop environment?