PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Compiz Plugins / Unity

Frogs Hair
May 2nd, 2011, 03:51 PM
Hello,

I have changed my Compiz profile to enable the cube in unity and I'm worried about using anything beyond the basic cube.

I have not found any information about using 3d windows or other cube effects , so I was wondering if anyone was doing this with Unity ?

I use the cube as mainly a workspace switcher but it would be nice to know how to enable the other effects without breakage , a guide would be nice and I realize Unity in 11.04 is new so it may take time before a guide/ work arounds will be posted.

ItalOz
May 2nd, 2011, 04:29 PM
I so agree with you, I have just installed 11.04 on an external drive to give it a go and I have to say that I feel a little bit lost.

I liked so much the improvements in 10.10, the desktop cube with two screens worked amazingly, the new Unity worries me a little bit, don't like the 1st feeling I had with it.

I never liked the Apple style menù and I do as much as I can with the keyboard... don't know....

werewolves
May 2nd, 2011, 04:35 PM
I do as much as I can with the keyboard... don't know....

Unity is actually very nice w/ keyboard use, at least I think so.
http://askubuntu.com/questions/28086/unity-keyboard-mouse-shortcuts

fwalderd
May 2nd, 2011, 04:42 PM
I have not found any information about using 3d windows or other cube effects , so I was wondering if anyone was doing this with Unity ?

I do. 3d and wobbly windows works fine.

I use the cube as mainly a workspace switcher but it would be nice to know how to enable the other effects without breakage , a guide would be nice and I realize Unity in 11.04 is new so it may take time before a guide/ work arounds will be posted.

I haven't found a good reason to use Unity yet, but I have kept it - maybe I'll learn ;)

Cheers, Felix

Frogs Hair
May 3rd, 2011, 08:23 PM
So , is anyone using any cube effects beyond the basic cube in Unity ?

pritam_par
August 6th, 2011, 07:43 PM
To enable the cube with Unity follow the process below

1.In compiz setting manager disable these plugin:
i) OpenGL
ii) Composite
iii) Ubuntu unity plugin
iv) Desktop wall.

2. Now enable these plugins sequentially.
i)OpenGl
ii)Composite
iii)Desktop cube
iv)Rotate cube
v)Ubuntu unity plugin.

__________________________________________________ ______--

x-D
August 6th, 2011, 09:16 PM
To enable the cube with Unity follow the process below

1.In compiz setting manager disable these plugin:
i) OpenGL
ii) Composite
iii) Ubuntu unity plugin
iv) Desktop wall.

2. Now enable these plugins sequentially.
i)OpenGl
ii)Composite
iii)Desktop cube
iv)Rotate cube
v)Ubuntu unity plugin.

__________________________________________________ ______--

This will work, however I really wouldn't recommend trying to run anything to do with Compiz in 11.04, because I did something like that a few weeks ago, and I ran into complications later on. But the kind of complications I am talking about you would only really run into as a power-user. A regular user would have no such worries!

Hope this helps...

x-D :guitar:

Frogs Hair
August 6th, 2011, 09:27 PM
I forgot about this thread , there were guides posted not too long after I stared this thread . Most I have seen are reprints of those above .

Solved ! Thanks !

x-D
August 6th, 2011, 09:53 PM
I forgot about this thread , there were guides posted not too long after I stared this thread . Most I have seen are reprints of those above .

Solved ! Thanks !

Just a warning though, if you're a Power-User, who is more likely to need either; a) more compiz effects at a later date, or b) enter into the dev side of things, you will start to get errors, so be sure of this before you start to muck around with Compiz.

Or alternatively, we could wait for 11.10 to come out in 2 months 1 week and 1 day, I believe, anyway, and then it will probably work out of the 'disk', so to speak, well we can all keep our fingers crossed and hope for this to be the case come 'Ocelot's' release :)

Frogs Hair
August 6th, 2011, 11:07 PM
Just a warning though, if you're a Power-User, who is more likely to need either; a) more compiz effects at a later date, or b) enter into the dev side of things, you will start to get errors, so be sure of this before you start to muck around with Compiz.

Or alternatively, we could wait for 11.10 to come out in 2 months 1 week and 1 day, I believe, anyway, and then it will probably work out of the 'disk', so to speak, well we can all keep our fingers crossed and hope for this to be the case come 'Ocelot's' release :)

I will be an Ocelot soon . I follow the 6 month cycle and use Ubuntu for pleasure . No one I've worked for has used Linux except for servers which only a few people have ever seen .

pritam_par
August 10th, 2011, 08:09 AM
This will work, however I really wouldn't recommend trying to run anything to do with Compiz in 11.04, because I did something like that a few weeks ago, and I ran into complications later on. But the kind of complications I am talking about you would only really run into as a power-user. A regular user would have no such worries!

Hope this helps...

x-D :guitar:
There may be the possibilities that after enabling the desktop cube with Unity maximize and minimize button disappear or you are unable to move your window. To get back all these function, in the compiz manger select the option "Move Window" and " Window Decoration".
And you are done. Hope this help