PDA

View Full Version : web page editor cross compattability

Ceiber Boy
May 2nd, 2011, 03:29 PM
are web page editors cross compatible?

meaning if a web page was generated in program A would it be editable in program B?

also what program in Ubuntu could be used to edit a web page?

this is one area of computing that I'm not very knowledgeable at so any links to explanations or suggested reading would be appreciated.

Many Thanks

aaaantoine
May 2nd, 2011, 05:28 PM
These are called WYSIWYG (What You See is What You Get) editors. And basically, it depends on whether the editor is any good. ;)

Short answer, yes. As long as the markup is standards compliant, the contents should render the same in any editor that is also standards compliant.

Shorter answer? Don't use Frontpage. -_-

(Mind you, that sentiment is probably antiquated. I haven't touched Front Page in 15 years, nor any other WYSIWYG editor -- except DreamWeaver in the mid 00's -- since then.)

Ctrl-Alt-F1
May 2nd, 2011, 05:31 PM
I use Visual Studio at work and Gedit, NotePad ++ at home. If you're serious about web design I suggest that you learn the mark-up at some point anyway. It can make all the difference. Then you can use ANY text editor to create your website.

rejinarudo
May 2nd, 2011, 05:39 PM
Thanks for asking.

are web page editors cross compatible?
There is no web page editor which is "cross compatible" but there is "cross-platform". Meaning, the application has Linux, Windows, or Mac OS versions.

meaning if a web page was generated in program A would it be editable in program B?
Yes. Web pages are basically "text" files. They can be edited in any web page editor* in any operating system.
* assuming that the editor can support the markup language.

also what program in Ubuntu could be used to edit a web page?
I'm a web developer and in my own opinion, the best web page editor out there for Ubuntu or any kind of Linux is Quanta Plus. But I don't really like WYSIWYG editors, I prefer to use the native gedit in creating my webpages.

Ceiber Boy
May 4th, 2011, 02:21 PM
Thank you!

samalex
May 4th, 2011, 02:36 PM
If you're looking for a non-WYSIWYG editor I'd suggest NetBeans since it's supported on OSX, Linux, and Windows, plus it has some great database support built in.

http://platform.netbeans.org/tutorials/nbm-htmleditor.html

NetBeans is a very powerful IDE and works with lots of languages as well, so it's neat to have a single IDE that does it all.

Eclipse is another one that's cross platform, but I like the simplistic approach of NetBeans. Eclipse is almost overkill in most cases IMO anyway.