PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade 10.10 to 11.04 Keeping Gnome Desktop

lildigiman
May 2nd, 2011, 02:22 PM
I'm not a huge fan of Unity. I have it installed right now on one of my computers just so I could see what it was like. I've determined I do not want to use Unity on my main computer (Ubuntu 10.10), and would like to keep the current Gnome desktop I have right now, and I would appreciate if anyone could help me figure out how to do this. I haven't dared trying to do the upgrade yet, fearing loss of my current desktop completely.

Note: I have seen others who say that to use the Gnome Desktop, you can just select "Ubuntu Classic" from the login screen. I wonder though, is this going to be my Current Desktop I have on my 10.10 (as in, having my current customizations such as theme and compiz settings), or is it going to be the stock Ubuntu/Gnome Desktop?

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

elliotcroft
May 2nd, 2011, 02:27 PM
It should be the same, considering that Ubuntu most likely just installs Unity on the desktop with Gnome already installed.

dino99
May 2nd, 2011, 02:27 PM
if you boot with "classic" then on the next boot your previous choice is automatically set, no worry

but you can remove/purge unity completly too with synaptic (and the ubuntu-desktop package)

lildigiman
May 2nd, 2011, 02:44 PM
So if I do boot with "Classic" it will be my Current Desktop? It will have all of my customized settings and theme that I already have right now on 10.10?

elliotcroft
May 2nd, 2011, 02:59 PM
So if I do boot with "Classic" it will be my Current Desktop? It will have all of my customized settings and theme that I already have right now on 10.10?
That is correct.
(The boot option menu is on the login screen)

lildigiman
May 2nd, 2011, 03:02 PM
Okay... I'm going to start the upgrade now... let's hope this works!

bowens44
May 2nd, 2011, 03:04 PM
I'm not a huge fan of Unity. I have it installed right now on one of my computers just so I could see what it was like. I've determined I do not want to use Unity on my main computer (Ubuntu 10.10), and would like to keep the current Gnome desktop I have right now, and I would appreciate if anyone could help me figure out how to do this. I haven't dared trying to do the upgrade yet, fearing loss of my current desktop completely.

Note: I have seen others who say that to use the Gnome Desktop, you can just select "Ubuntu Classic" from the login screen. I wonder though, is this going to be my Current Desktop I have on my 10.10 (as in, having my current customizations such as theme and compiz settings), or is it going to be the stock Ubuntu/Gnome Desktop?

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I have found the 'gnome classic' implementation in 11.04 to be incredibly buggy. I tried for several hours to get it to function like my desktop in 10.10 and had no luck.

ratcheer
May 2nd, 2011, 03:08 PM
I have found the 'gnome classic' implementation in 11.04 to be incredibly buggy. I tried for several hours to get it to function like my desktop in 10.10 and had no luck.

Hmmm. I am running Natty with Classic Gnome and I notice nothing strange, at all. Except that clicking both mouse buttons simultaneously does not emulate a middle button click, for which I long ago filed a bug report.

Tim

dino99
May 2nd, 2011, 03:36 PM
classic is running fine on my end , no trouble

lildigiman
May 2nd, 2011, 03:38 PM
Well, I've canceled the upgrade for now... I'm only getting ~100 kB/s right now. =[

I'll continue doing more research on 11.04's Gnome Desktop, and if you guys have any more information, please let me know! Thanks!

McGuinness
May 14th, 2011, 12:57 PM
Well, I've canceled the upgrade for now... I'm only getting ~100 kB/s right now. =[

Hi!

Did you do the update by now? Did it work? I would like to keep my current Gnome desktop, too. But I am too afraid that after the update to 11.04 is done all my settings are gone...

Cheers!
McG

emptybox
May 14th, 2011, 01:37 PM
Hi!

Did you do the update by now? Did it work? I would like to keep my current Gnome desktop, too. But I am too afraid that after the update to 11.04 is done all my settings are gone...

Cheers!
McG

I upgraded from 10.04 (through 10.10) to 11.04 and my desktop retained the theme and customizations from the earlier version (I have everything on one taskbar at the top of the screen, and an Awn dock at the bottom).
That computer can't handle Unity, so it defaulted to classic Gnome.

The only settings that I had to set up again were the compiz ones.

The only thing that got a bit broken in the upgrade was Ubuntu Tweak, which seems to have disappeared in the first upgrade from 10.04 to 10.10, and can't be downloaded from synaptic. But the settings I changed with it (GDM wallpaper, and displaying Home, Computer and Network icons on the desktop) Have remained.

McGuinness
May 15th, 2011, 11:16 AM
Thanks for the information. :)

lildigiman
May 19th, 2011, 05:11 PM
Yes, I did do the install to 11.04. My desktop was essentially fine, except I had some of my own issues with Compiz and my ATI graphics card and Drivers, so I have reverted back to 10.10 (luckily I keep backups of everything!).

Your classic gnome in 11.04 should be fine as long as you don't have any hardware/driver issues like I do.