PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 11.04 issues with sony vaio fs315m

usman4575
May 2nd, 2011, 01:28 PM
I have a sony laptop VGN FS315M, i recently installed Ubuntu 11.04, and i really love the unity interface.
But i have a few issues as well, for which i went through different threads but couldn't find anything related to my problems. Although i solved many issues by googling but few mentioned below need some expert's help. So please help me if you can, i will be grateful to all of ubuntu community for that;
1. Vaio FS315M has Nvidia graphics card, ubuntu suggested a video card driver which i installed but didn't work well so i switched to the another one and it worked generally well but that too has problems like if my computer goes to sleep upon closure of lid, it cannot wake up again. it shows only a white screen and only way to get out of it is to restart the computer by manually pressing start button.
2. Sound card works generally ok but mic doesn't work on startup but when i click sound preferences and mic selection from analog microphone to another one and then again to analog microphone, it works but not the first time. Sound output is low compared to windows.
3. Arabic/persian fonts generally are not shown well in firefox?
4. Computer seems to be slow in unity compared to 10.10, may be because of high demand on graphics or the graphics card is not optimized?
5. Skype won't start automatically and there's no option in this skype to do so and also it doesn't save password?
5 . Ubuntu doesn't connect to net connection unless i connect manually, i want it to connect automatically to internet
7. This issue is not related directly to ubuntu. My system is a dual boot system with windows xp as well. Before windows xp, i tried windows 7 beta and then later removed it but it left its bootloader at startup. since my CDROM drive is also out of order so i tweaked BIOS by installing PLOP to install ubuntu. Now i have 3 startup menus if i want to run windows xp, one for ubuntu, then windows 7 with option for earlier version, when i select earlier version then windows xp or PLOP installer. so its a mess. I want PLOP to appear at the beginning (so that i can have boot option from USB available), then ubuntu and if i select windows it should go directly to xp not thru others.

I know list is long but any help to whatever extent will be highly appreciated.
Thanks again Ubuntu community for helping always.

usman4575
May 5th, 2011, 02:08 PM
It seems ever since the launch of 11.04, there forum gurus are overwhelmed, anyway i hope someone might help me with graphics and mic problems' at least? thanks