PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Why are you trying to take control off me?

Milambar
May 2nd, 2011, 12:25 PM
So, I rather foolishly allowed my PC to upgrade to 11.04. Why foolish?

Foolish because prior to the upgrade, I had my desktop arranged as I wanted it. It was efficient for ME. It is after all, MY computer, so it should be set up as I want it.

Now, I HAVE to have that "Unity" dock glued to the left hand side of the screen, and it HAS to autohide. I can't remove it, I can't move it, and I can't turn off the autohide crap.

There is no taskswitcher, I HAVE to drag my mouse all the way over to the left, wait for it to unhide, then switch my task.. Thank god I know about alt-tab, that still works, for now at least.

Oh, look, a slew if icons in my task-tray next to the clock. Well, I only want two icons there. The clock, and pidgin notification so I know when the missus who is currently in the US, is trying to IM me.

Oh wait, I can't edit them either can I. I can't remove that stupid mail icon. I mean, who the hell needs to know the instant "You got mail!", thats what IM clients are for. I will check my mail when its convenient for ME. Won't let me drag it off, won't let me hit DEL, and no configuration option to allow me to remove it.

Ok, at least the chat bubble is still there, except... Its not, not really. Sure, the icon is there, but clicking on it no longer brings up pidgin. It only lets me change my status. Very pointless.

I spent the best part of a day being unproductive trying to work out, with the aid of google, how to remove, or at least move the unity dock, how to stop it autohiding, how to remove the icons from the task tray, out to put the icons I want on the task tray... But, it seems the Ubuntu dev's know better about what I want than I do, and left no options for customizations.

Well, I've been with Ubuntu since Warty Warthog. Rode every bump in the road, but stuck with it, because it was stable, easily configurable, and put me in charge of my PC, and not some asinine, unalterable defaults the developers thought were better than my own choices.

Now, some dude will post "Wow dude. Its new, give it time, you'll get used to it.". Thats the whole point isn't it. I don't WANT to get used to it. I want MY computer to be configured and laid out AS I WANT IT, and not as he developers want it.

That was the whole ethos behind me installing Linux in the first place. Windows didn't let me lay things out as I wanted them, Linux did. Now it seems, Linux, or at least Ubuntu's idea of Linux, doesn't either.

Guess I need to download and give another distro a try now.

howefield
May 2nd, 2011, 12:31 PM
You don't have to use Unity, log into Ubuntu Classic from the session menu.

quanganht
May 2nd, 2011, 12:31 PM
Well, you are using Linux, right? Anything is tweakable.

hansdown
May 2nd, 2011, 12:34 PM
Hi Milambar.

You can chande to gnome desktop.

http://scottlinux.com/2011/03/05/ubuntu-11-04-change-from-unity-to-classic-gnome/

Milambar
May 2nd, 2011, 12:38 PM
You don't have to use Unity, log into Ubuntu Classic from the session menu.

Oh thank you so much. I was looking for "Gnome" or "Gnome 2" in the sessions menu. Didn't realise they'd listed it as "Ubuntu Classic".

kansasnoob
May 2nd, 2011, 12:41 PM
I made some notes that might be helpful here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1718631

I have Natty looking exactly like Maverick :)