PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Lost 11.04

mealmond
May 2nd, 2011, 11:14 AM
Hi

I run a laptop with dual boot windows 7 and unbuntu.

I upgraded to 11.04 last week and everything was fine until yesterday.

I mainly use unbuntu and whilst web browsing yesterday, I did an update.

I then restarted as instructed and I now cannot get into unbuntu.

Windows 7 loads, I can see an option on start up to choose unbuntu or unbuntu recovery but if I choose either option I just get a black screen with some writing on it but I cannot read it and it just stops there.

So I have no access to my unbuntu and I am now not sure what to do.

I have unbuntu on a seperate partition in windows 7, although not marked as such, I assume this is where ubuntu is.

I was going to do a fresh install in to the partition as above, but when trying a fresh install I am not given the option to install over the partition, just a fresh install in the remaining memory, but I don't want to do that.

Can anybody offer any advice on how to get my unbuntu back, as I say, I cannot access unbuntu at all and I am having to use windows 7.

Thanks in advance.

Martin

lechien73
May 2nd, 2011, 11:22 AM
Hi,

Please boot into Ubuntu using a Live CD or USB, and select to try Ubuntu without installing.

When you have a desktop, download the Boot Info Script from here: http://bootinfoscript.sourceforge.net

Follow the instructions at this page to create the results.txt file, and then create a reply to this post. Click the # button on the toolbar above, and paste the results between the CODE tags.

This will give us a better idea as to what is going on.

kansasnoob
May 2nd, 2011, 01:54 PM
Hi,

Please boot into Ubuntu using a Live CD or USB, and select to try Ubuntu without installing.

When you have a desktop, download the Boot Info Script from here: http://bootinfoscript.sourceforge.net

Follow the instructions at this page to create the results.txt file, and then create a reply to this post. Click the # button on the toolbar above, and paste the results between the CODE tags.

This will give us a better idea as to what is going on.

The OP may need to run a newer development version of BIS as I explained here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=10756222#post10756222

If you compare the results in post #1 to those in post #3 even the first few lines will show why :D

I'll try to contact the BIS devs soon to get the newer version uploaded to the site ;)

lechien73
May 2nd, 2011, 02:20 PM
Thanks for that, I was confused by some of the results I was receiving from my own BIS :)

madjr
May 2nd, 2011, 02:32 PM
Hi

I run a laptop with dual boot windows 7 and unbuntu.

I upgraded to 11.04 last week and everything was fine until yesterday.

I mainly use unbuntu and whilst web browsing yesterday, I did an update.

I then restarted as instructed and I now cannot get into unbuntu.

Windows 7 loads, I can see an option on start up to choose unbuntu or unbuntu recovery but if I choose either option I just get a black screen with some writing on it but I cannot read it and it just stops there.

So I have no access to my unbuntu and I am now not sure what to do.

I have unbuntu on a seperate partition in windows 7, although not marked as such, I assume this is where ubuntu is.

I was going to do a fresh install in to the partition as above, but when trying a fresh install I am not given the option to install over the partition, just a fresh install in the remaining memory, but I don't want to do that.

Can anybody offer any advice on how to get my unbuntu back, as I say, I cannot access unbuntu at all and I am having to use windows 7.

Thanks in advance.

Martin

if you can access the ubuntu partition from the live-cd or usb , i suggest you backup your the files you want first.

also i think your problem might be similar to this:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1746334

mealmond
May 2nd, 2011, 03:41 PM
Thanks for the replies so far, I will make a Live CD and let you know how I get on.

Martin

mealmond
May 2nd, 2011, 06:37 PM
Thanks for all the help.

Got the live cd up and running, so I did a fresh install.

Thanks for all the advice.