PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] grub rescue, display problems

germfreeadolescent
May 2nd, 2011, 08:37 AM
I just installed Ubuntu 11.04 on a Dell Dimension 4600 desktop (I know, old). I get an error that says "no such device" and a lot of numbers, then "grub rescue"

I see there are some threads that say to boot from disk and do stuff with sudo and the terminal (totally new to this, sorry). When I boot from the flash drive I'm using the "desktop" screen comes up but no menu or window is visible for more than a split second. Things flick and flash when I roll the mouse over them but it's impossible to see or do anything, and I can't find anything that says "terminal." Even if could find the terminal I doubt the window would show in any usable way.

I wonder if it's because of a lack of memory, but I ran a "memory test" and it may have said my computer has 510mb of memory (I assume that's an approximation of 512), but I know so little about this I'm not sure. I'm pretty sure I have the 32 bit version, the iso is "ubuntu-11.04-desktop-i386".

I'll provide any other information needed to the best of my ability. I greatly, greatly appreciate any help I can get, of course.

dino99
May 2nd, 2011, 09:59 AM
i suppose you dont have installed grub when asked, or dont set the partition as bootable. Here is how to make an install:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=10161428&postcount=2

and more info beloww following the links