PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Banshee browse by genre?

HDave
May 2nd, 2011, 05:38 AM
Please tell me you can browse by genre in Banshee and that Canonical didn't make it the default when it was missing this most basic capability!!!!?!!!???

teachop
May 2nd, 2011, 08:15 AM
I ended up putting rhythmbox on because I couldn't find a way to do this...

HDave
May 2nd, 2011, 01:39 PM
Me too.

Ron F.
May 20th, 2011, 02:10 AM
ECHO ECHo ECho Echo echo.......

There must be dozens of music/media players for Linux, many of them claim to be "light weight" or other such nonsense. The fact is, none of them get an A grade as a music system.

I don't want video. I want music done right.

In my opinion, a real music system should cover the basics. In my view, that includes the ability to render search panes for genre, artist, and album, and all tracks. It should be able to render a browser for album artwork, It should be able to fade music smoothly when pausing, stopping, and starting - certainly without any stuttering. I should be able to rescan my 15,000 track library without a crash (no, Banshee 2.0 still crashes on me.)

Well, there may be others that I have not checked recently, but there are only two music applications today that satisfy my short list of basic requirements: Rhythmbox and Guayadeque.

Both have problems:
Guyadeque does not look right if using a dark theme for the desktop, some text fields disappear (light text on a light background for example.) It seems to look fairly reasonable if using the Atolm theme - I can read everything on the Library Tab, but the text on the last.fm tab is mostly unreadable, being black text now on a dark background. Oh well.

So, we are back to the old dinosaur of a music player for Linux: Rhythmbox. My God, is this really necessary? With the RhythmArty and Folder plugins, it satisfies my basic requirements, and it looks fine in dark themes such as my preference: Equinox Evolution Dusk.

Years ago, I used Amarok, until it was orphaned and killed.

I have tried the modern Amarok and now Clementine, both are good, but not perfect yet either. I used to get a lot of crashes with Clementine, but that is getting better.

I have tried aTunes and Jajuk, and I like Jajuk, but I don't like the swing-based interface and the sole reliance on mplayer - no option to use something else as the back end.

So ... I don't know what to say. I added some new CDs I purchased to Banshee, and it thereupon crashed on me again - latest version. I am really tired of this.

I used to like Songbird once, until it fell into a black hole. Nightingale does not actually exist.

With all the great work being done by gifted people on all these music players ... why do I feel like nobody really knows what they are doing here?

Summary: I recommend Rhythmbox, Guayadeque, and Clementine.

-Ron

shoeheight
December 18th, 2011, 07:27 PM
I completely agree, it is amazing that this is the default music player but has no ability to sort by genre. A year ago I tried to use banshee and had the same issue with it. It seems trivial, but it is vital to me. I will now have to switch back to rhythmbox.

HDave
December 21st, 2011, 06:07 PM
Has anyone noticed how many awesome music players Android has? Of the three I've tried, all support browse by genre.

I wish I could run them on Ubuntu. Canonical was trying to do that for a while, but nothing came of it.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=11554835