PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Things I miss in Unity

geoffm
May 2nd, 2011, 04:37 AM
I am trying to give Unity a chance but it's been extremely frustrating, especially considering lack of information and lack of customisation options. Here are some of the topics of annoyance, hopefully some people can give me advice on that.

Windows List
I like to be able to see instantly at all time which apps are running on my current workspace. There doesn't seem to be a convenient way to do that, i.e. a decent substitute to the windows list applet.
ALT W seems to ignore the windows that are minimized !?! (there could be an option, at least)
How can I get a reliable list of the open windows? seems I will have to try some of those third party docks. any recommandations (cairo, awn, docky...)?
I think there is some kind of way that the launchers show they have open program windows in the sidebar, but it is very suble and unintuitive. Some of them have a red or blue background color, some have arrows on the left or right side. I don't know what that means. also not all the apps have a launcher icon, so this definitely doesn't count as a suitable replacement for windows list.

Launchers
I'm used to having launchers for all my regular apps in a top panel so they are only one click away. I understand I can achieve the same thing by "pinning" apps to the unity bar, however there are too many of them and scrolling is not well implemented (too slow, and that "folded icons unfold on hover" thing just doesn't work very well). I found that by left-clicking and dragging I can scroll down the panel, but it still makes my one-click launches become two-clicks-plus-drag launches, which isn't optimal.
I know I can type my applications' name but this is not as convenient as a one-click launch because my hands aren't always both on the keyboard, and there are some launchers such as "thunderbird --compose" that I miss.
Also, I'm used to using my browser launchers to open new browser windows. Now clicking on the launchers doesn't do that if there are windows already open.

Panel customization
Missing basic configuration options here.
How about a toggle autohide option for that sidepanel?
change icon size?
What if I want to add menu item options for an app, such as "open address book" and "compose new message" for thunderbird?
What about applets for the panel? I like to have a temperature monitor applet, as well as cpu and network monitors, and I really needed that Inhibit applet. Is there a way to have those essential tools working?

EDIT: use compizconfig settings manager for autohide and icon size. middle click on browser launcher to open new window.
also, the Unity shortcuts desktop background can be useful for a while: http://www.webupd8.org/2011/04/ubuntu-unity-keyboard-shortcuts.html

vitorgatti
May 2nd, 2011, 04:55 AM
Install compizconfig-settings-manager package, check Ubuntu Unity Plugin and you will have some options to play with :KS

geoffm
May 2nd, 2011, 05:23 AM
Install compizconfig-settings-manager package, check Ubuntu Unity Plugin and you will have some options to play with :KS

I went to look at it again and I found icon size and hide launcher. It's a start.

I have been trying to replace the Super+S shortcut for something else because I've been using Super+S as my shortcut for Guake for several years. I can set another shortcut for Expo in compiz, which will make the new shortcut do expo but Super+S will still do Expo, as if Unity overrides compiz' setting.
This isn't very satisfying.

vitorgatti
May 2nd, 2011, 05:32 AM
I can set another shortcut for Expo in compiz, which will make the new shortcut do expo but Super+S will still do Expo, as if Unity overrides compiz' setting.

Now _that_ is a bug :(
Just tried here too, not working as it should.