PDA

View Full Version : A few questions about Unity

Cityscape
May 2nd, 2011, 03:41 AM
I really enjoy the new Ubuntu 11.04 with Unity.
But there are a few things that have changed and they almost make me want to go back to the world of 10.10.

1. In previous versions I could click the clock and see the time in other cities that I had set. I could also see the weather, now I can't. I've been to the Date & Time setting bu I couldn't see anything there that would help me. What can I do about this? This feature was really important to me, in fact this alone could force me back to 10.10.

2. On the previous version I could set the level of Desktop effects to high, and it would give me things like wobbly windows which I quite enjoyed. I see no such option for this in 11.04.

3. When I click Super (windows) key, it gives me the shortcuts menu. Can I add my own shortcuts to this menu?

4. Can I rearrange the order of the icon in the launcher? Right now I have 2 web browsers at the top of the launcher and the other web browser is put at the bottom. I don't like this.

If you could help me guys, I would appreciate it. :D

aaaantoine
May 2nd, 2011, 04:09 AM
1. I'll let someone else answer. There may be an indicator for that.
2. You can customize these things at a very granular level with ccsm (CompizConfig Settings Manager).
3. No but you can add your own shortcuts to the Launcher.
4. Yes. Click & Hold will allow you to drag the applications on the Launcher.

beew
May 2nd, 2011, 04:16 AM
1. Don't know about this. Maybe you can find something here http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/01/the-omg-guide-to-must-have-indicator-applets/ (http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/01/the-omg-guide-to-must-have-indicator-applets/)

2. Install ccsm (compiz configuration setting manager) and enable effects from there, though I remember wobbly windows was enabled by default in Unity, maybe I remember wrong.

3. You mean creating icon launchers? Just use the "main menu" like in gnome 2. You can use the search bar to find it.

4. You can drag the icon out of the Unity bar ( a little to the right) and put it back into the Unity bar in the position you want it.

cariboo
May 2nd, 2011, 05:10 AM
1. In previous versions I could click the clock and see the time in other cities that I had set. I could also see the weather, now I can't. I've been to the Date & Time setting bu I couldn't see anything there that would help me. What can I do about this? This feature was really important to me, in fact this alone could force me back to 10.10.

Click on the clock, then click the clock tab. See the screen shot:

For weather, install indicator-weather. it's in the repositories.