PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] How to enter Ubuntu from safe mode (11.04)

brad1138
May 2nd, 2011, 03:10 AM
After installing 11.04, my main login has a problem. I think it was a conflict with the AWN windows manager I was using. I get no menu or way to access anything. I get the desktop w/icons and that is it.

I have a secondary login that I am trying to access, but it auto-boots to the primary login. If I access safe mode, I can log into the secondary, but it doesn't boot to the gui, just text.

How do I boot to the Ubuntu gui from safe mode, I guess is the whole question.

Thanks,
Brad

Dutch70
May 2nd, 2011, 03:20 AM
Hi and welcome to UF

There is no safe mode for Ubuntu, nor is there a need for one. It's always in safe mode. :P

I think what you're looking for is recovery mode. Try pressing the left shift key early in the boot process to access the Grub2 menu.
I believe you can find what you're looking for there.

brad1138
May 2nd, 2011, 05:02 AM
I fixed it a different way. I dual boot w/XP so I get grub w/every boot. You may be right, it may be called recovery mode, but essentially the question is the same.

I was able to suspend with a keyboard button, then when I came out of suspend, it asks for login. From there I could select login as different user. Then I changed the default login and was able to fix everything from there.

Thanks,
Brad

Dutch70
May 2nd, 2011, 07:16 AM
You're welcome, even though I wasn't much help. Glad you got it worked out Brad.