PDA

View Full Version : Tips for starting my own PC Repair buisness?

MollyWop
May 2nd, 2011, 02:24 AM
Hey guys, I just fixed a family friends computer and ended up getting 50 dollars for it. I thought to myself "maybe I could start my own business." seeing how easy it is to me and how I've been doing this kind of thing my whole life. For now I'm thinking of just keeping it nearby and local through craigslist. But the thing I'm wondering is the legal aspect of it. I see that running a business takes alot of responsibility, whether it be reimbursing somebody's computer I broke by chance because I didn't have a signed contract agreement that I could show if it ever did go to court. Any advice?

Timmer1240
May 2nd, 2011, 02:39 AM
I do some tuning up and malware cleaning for friends and family I never charge them for it seems like it would be an alright side deal I would think you would have to have some sort of insurance and contract to do it professionally though.Good luck in your business if you start one.

undecim
May 2nd, 2011, 02:54 AM
A friend and I are doing the same thing. Here's what we've figured out so far:

First of all (in the US, at least), you need to get a business license. It's about $50 where we live, but probably different for you.

Second, you will want insurance, in case you screw up someone's computer (mistakes happen).

You will probably want to type (or better yet, hire a lawyer to type it) a short waiver form that basically says "I do what I have to do to fix your computer, even if that means losing some of your data. I am also not responsible for damage to your computer hardware cause by damaged or faulty components... [anything else you can think of]"

And finally, keep a record of all transactions for tax purposes. Find out what taxes apply to services where you live, what taxes you might have to pay for reselling ordered parts, etc.

That's really all the legal issues with it. Though there's more to business than that.

Marketing is also a big factor. Best Buy charges in the $100's for simple repairs, and can get away with it because they have excellent marketing (namely, being the same place that most of their customers get their computers from). You need to make sure you have enough people coming to you, so expect to spend a considerable amount of money marketing. Remember that the Internet is FULL of free marketing opportunities. Since you want to keep it local, Craigslist and Facebook are EXCELLENT resources. If you can have a facebook page, twitter feed, and website that people want to visit (for example, giving general computer tips, recommending quality software, etc), then people will talk about and share your page. (via Facebook like, IM, face-to-face, etc.)

MooPi
May 2nd, 2011, 03:01 AM
I am doing just what you want to do. Small business computer services and repair. Love it but it can consume you in a heart beat. Know your limits and set your pace so you don't end up working 24/7

Warpnow
May 2nd, 2011, 03:12 AM
Advertise near the computer illiterate.

I'd imagine church bulletin boards to be a gold mine.

MollyWop
May 2nd, 2011, 03:18 AM
I am doing just what you want to do. Small business computer services and repair. Love it but it can consume you in a heart beat. Know your limits and set your pace so you don't end up working 24/7 Sounds like you get alot of business? How do you advertise?

MollyWop
May 2nd, 2011, 03:24 AM
Advertise near the computer illiterate.

I'd imagine church bulletin boards to be a gold mine.
Love that idea, I live right next to a church.

coffee412
May 2nd, 2011, 03:49 AM
Sounds like you get alot of business? How do you advertise?

Ive found most people hit up the Yellow Pages when looking to service their computer. Some just take it in to best buy and get nailed.

sammiev
May 2nd, 2011, 03:59 AM
I have done it for years on the side and my phone still rings off the hook with people who want their computers fixed.

sandyd
May 2nd, 2011, 04:22 AM
I also do it as a side job.
I used to do both software + hardware, but I only do the hardware stuff now, since I don't have much time.

I have tons of extra parts (I have a habit of rescuing computers from the curb, and I also have a ton of parts left over from my former job that I never returned...), and I use those to replace screwed up hardware.

MooPi
May 2nd, 2011, 04:33 AM
Sounds like you get alot of business? How do you advertise?

I don't advertise, just word of mouth and a good location. I'm inside a locale shipping outlet and small business people come and go all day. I have a good reputation for getting the job done right and I'm inexpensive to boot. Previous job as UPS delivery driver also helps because everyone knows me.

undecim
May 2nd, 2011, 06:31 AM
I don't advertise, just word of mouth and a good location. I'm inside a locale shipping outlet and small business people come and go all day. I have a good reputation for getting the job done right and I'm inexpensive to boot. Previous job as UPS delivery driver also helps because everyone knows me.

Word of mouth is a powerful thing for small business. That's why I mentioned social media like Facebook and Twitter in my post, because that is the new (or at least a great supplement to) word of mouth these days.

Of course, reputation is important for word-of-mouth advertising to work. Do a good job and people will come to you.

matthekc
May 2nd, 2011, 06:41 AM
I've worked in a few PC shops and I'll tell you virus removals eat far more time than reinstalls on average a reinstall is far easier and more profitable. If I were going to quote the customer a price like an 1.5 hours x amount of dollars for a reinstall I would quote at least 2.5 hours for a virus removal (you can always charge less later if it was easy). I would hope to talk more customers into a reinstall although sometimes with some people who don't have their install discs for pricey software you might have to bit the bullet and fight the malware.

Warpnow
May 2nd, 2011, 07:00 AM
Couldn't you just use any disc with their key to reinstall?

I saw a program once to get the key from a windows computer...don't remember where.

samalex
May 2nd, 2011, 02:54 PM
I consider cleaning malware and viruses as more of a maintenance than a repair because after cleaning someones Winders box most will just be in the same situation within weeks no matter how much education you give them.

Back when PC Repair meant actually repairing computers I loved it and made a nice bit of cash doing it, but when most of my calls became viruses and malware as opposed to upgrading or repairing hardware I quit doing it.

Computers and periferals are now disposable and people would rather buy new when things act up. I've seen people replace NICE laptops or desktops because they mistake malware or viruses as the system being outdated when a reload and some user education would bring them back up to speed.

My focus anymore is more on web and application design and publishing where I make more money focusing on a few larger projects than lots of $50 or $75 jobs. For me it's more fulfilling and much less stressful :)

Thewhistlingwind
May 2nd, 2011, 02:59 PM
My focus anymore is more on web and application design and publishing where I make more money focusing on a few larger projects than lots of $50 or $75 jobs. For me it's more fulfilling and much less stressful :)

I think it's funny, "I don't do computer stuff" to me translates as "I'm an absolute idiot, please do it for me." because usually it's the truth. (So for people who aren't idiots, please don't say these words, they make you sound dumb.) I've seen very smart people struggle with the computer, and very dumb people struggle with the computer. You can tell the difference by who writes down the answer/ makes note of it for next time and who doesn't. Learning is usually cheaper then outsourcing.

tb13
May 2nd, 2011, 03:05 PM
I successfully started a Computer repair business around my local area (Stoke-on-Trent, UK). It was a fantastic success. It was not a huge income business, our main source of income was from website and program development which we advertised as we were completing the computer repair.

Things we did are:
1) Computer repair in home
2) Network installments and Security layers added
3) Speed up your PC
4) Promote Ubuntu
5) ... aswell as a lot of other general services

Our marketing consisted of:
1) Posting leaflets through doors (tiring and boring but useful)
2) Posting advertisements in local computer shops (they were happy to do this as they are friends
3) Internet advertising (through directories, links on other websites, spamming)
4) Retaining business through previous customers
5) Word of mouth

Hope this helped :)

samalex
May 2nd, 2011, 03:18 PM
I think it's funny, "I don't do computer stuff" to me translates as "I'm an absolute idiot, please do it for me." because usually it's the truth. (So for people who aren't idiots, please don't say these words, they make you sound dumb.) I've seen very smart people struggle with the computer, and very dumb people struggle with the computer. You can tell the difference by who writes down the answer/ makes note of it for next time and who doesn't. Learning is usually cheaper then outsourcing.

Huh???? Who did I call an idiot? I've worked in hospitals where brain surgeons couldn't check their email, but I've seen 10 year old kids write stuff that makes me jealous. Every person has different fortes and for some computers and technology isn't one of them.

For the average user though, they look at computers as if it's an appliance that should work, and like most appliances when it doesn't they call out someone to fix it. Problem though is when your TV, microwave, fridge, etc breaks it's generally not the users fault so when the user gets it back there's an expectation that it'll work correctly for the get go. This isn't the case with computers since most of the time it's the user's actions that hosed it. What burnt me when I did computer work on the side was being paid to remove malware and viruses from peoples computers then getting called back days or weeks later with the user saying "it's still broke" and expecting me to work on it again for free. No matter how much education you give people, in my experience anyway, many to most will be back in the same situation at some point.

For me I work with computers because I love technology, it's been a profession for 13 years now and a hobby for over 20 years, so I try to avoid these types of frustrations. That's why I mentioned my focus has moved to doing web design and programming plus I'm moving into mobile applications. I've done web programming for almost 15 years now, so that's old hat, but learning how to port content via JSON to mobile apps on iOS and Android is something new I'm getting into -- and it's way fun to learn! From a financial standpoint making money doing what you enjoy is nice, which was my point in the quote you made from my post.

Sean Moran
May 2nd, 2011, 03:19 PM
If you have the capacity, drive a compact white van or station-wagon, with professional looking decals on the front doors or more if you can afford some signwriting.

You must LOOK the part when they open the door. I don't mean tuxedos, but dress like somebody competent and successful, with some hands-on preparation, but wear long casual pants, NOT jeans.

Drive a car that reflects your intended purpose, because when you're head down fixing someone's computer, take it for granted that they're either watching over your shoulder or peering out the window to see what car you drive.

Drive something humble but successful and competent. and then when those occasional problems happen, they might believe your excuses.

PS: Make it a habit to check your watch every few minutes, to illustrate to the client that you have another appointment, another customer, to help in an hour or two. People trust people who are almost too busy to stop and help them (they are grateful for youir time when you are busy), but make sure the vehicle you drive is immaculate and supports the intended prospectus.

undecim
May 2nd, 2011, 07:31 PM
4) Promote Ubuntu

Just don't be too pushy. I always leave people with Ubuntu CDs and explain that it can be used if their computer crashes and they have something important to do and if possible show them how to boot the CD on their specific computer.

If people are interested in it, they will see the "install" option, and either ask you about it, or just install it themselves (and then ask you about it, or find ubuntu.com).

MooPi
May 2nd, 2011, 08:03 PM
Just don't be too pushy. I always leave people with Ubuntu CDs and explain that it can be used if their computer crashes and they have something important to do and if possible show them how to boot the CD on their specific computer.

If people are interested in it, they will see the "install" option, and either ask you about it, or just install it themselves (and then ask you about it, or find ubuntu.com).

I successfully started a Computer repair business around my local area (Stoke-on-Trent, UK). It was a fantastic success. It was not a huge income business, our main source of income was from website and program development which we advertised as we were completing the computer repair.

Things we did are:
1) Computer repair in home
2) Network installments and Security layers added
3) Speed up your PC
4) Promote Ubuntu
5) ... aswell as a lot of other general services

Our marketing consisted of:
1) Posting leaflets through doors (tiring and boring but useful)
2) Posting advertisements in local computer shops (they were happy to do this as they are friends
3) Internet advertising (through directories, links on other websites, spamming)
4) Retaining business through previous customers
5) Word of mouth

Hope this helped :)

I have a sign prominently displayed espousing the benifits of Linux. Sadly I don't get much business from Ubuntu and Linux installs. I do actively promote but receive minor responses. Listed in order of prominence :
virus removal
re-install Windows OS
assorted hardware failures( hard drives very prominent)
sale of refurb'd computers
sale of newly built computers
cusom built computers
custom task computers(duplication tower , firewall)