PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Garbled screen after upgrade?

psychgypsy
May 2nd, 2011, 01:40 AM
All right, so I upgraded ubuntu the other day from 10,10. Did a clean installation, wiped my hard drive, everything is a fresh install. I tried logging in, told me my hardware wasn't sufficient to run unity and to use ubuntu classic. The screen was garbled when it logged me in. Worse than the screenshot below, i would click on something and it would come up as a black square, the screen would flicker, it was pretty much unusable. I thought, ok, I'll just use ubuntu classic then. It's garbled too. And is it just me or am I still running gnome? This is ubuntu classic (no effects) in the screenshot. It garbles everything except programs (like firefox). It's mostly that top panel, but it'll pop up all over. Running 'user defined somethin or other' looks the same, as does running just regular ubuntu (what I can make of it anyway). Safe mode doesn't look any different.

My specs:
Sony Vaio PCV-RS510
512mb RAM
Intel 4 processer 2.8 GHz
120GB Hard Drive
Video card is an Intel 865GV with 64mb of VRAM
Screen resolution: 1360x768 on 19" monitor, standard VGA. Screen is still garbled after setting the resolution lower, like say 800x600.

What my screen looks like (look at the top right corner): http://img857.imageshack.us/f/screenshotel.png/

I updated all my stuff through the update manager, but that didn't help things. I went into 'additional drivers', but it said everything was up to date. What am I doing wrong? I never had anything happen like this on 10.10, but after upgrading I've had nothing but issues and can't even run unity apparently. This is making that old live CD look mighty friendly right now :\

psychgypsy
May 2nd, 2011, 02:09 AM
I also tried running these codes since they've been recommended all over this forum.

sudo apt-get clean
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

Didn't help. Is this just a hardware issue?

Also, firefox has started to sloptch images and red squares in the address bar. :\

Dutch70
May 2nd, 2011, 03:48 AM
I think that is just a bug that they will get worked out.

If you hold the left mouse button and scroll over that area it should straighten out. It used to be much worse in Natty.

psychgypsy
May 2nd, 2011, 09:42 PM
I'm a tad unfamiliar with things like bug fixes and the such. About how long would a fix for something like this take? Would I have to wait until october when the next release comes out or would this sort of thing be fixed through update manager? Is it specific to my computer or is everyone experiencing this kinda thing? Is my computer completely incapable of running unity? Will it ever be able to? Sorry if I'm being a little pushy; I'd just like to know the details if anyone knows what's up. Thanks so much in advance