PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Should I Downgrade?

Darris
May 2nd, 2011, 12:53 AM
I upgraded because no one would help me fix the problem I had with my internet.
So, in an act of desperation I installed natty narwhal. And it would be fine except it's really consumptive of my cpu, or at least it seems that way. I can't monitor it anymore because it deleted my window navigator and there aren't panels anymore.

I used to play my PC games on WINE but now they don't work either and I don't know why because I didn't think it changed anything.

How do you downgrade back to 10?

Or can you fix my WINE?

Darris
May 7th, 2011, 08:14 AM
bump

kansasnoob
May 7th, 2011, 01:39 PM
I don't know anything about wine but you can make 11.04 look pretty much identical to 10.10 by selecting either the classic or classic w/o effects DE options. I made some notes here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1718631

Frogs Hair
May 7th, 2011, 02:44 PM
You would have to do a fresh installation of 10.10 . If your home folder is not on its own partition , back up your data on a removable device.

linuxftw3
May 7th, 2011, 02:47 PM
I upgraded because no one would help me fix the problem I had with my internet.
So, in an act of desperation I installed natty narwhal. And it would be fine except it's really consumptive of my cpu, or at least it seems that way. I can't monitor it anymore because it deleted my window navigator and there aren't panels anymore.

I used to play my PC games on WINE but now they don't work either and I don't know why because I didn't think it changed anything.

How do you downgrade back to 10?

Or can you fix my WINE?

no it's because natty sucks wordimnotallowedtosayhere. :P downgrade to maverick its much better :D just backup your files and boot from a maverick disk and install from that to downgrade it.

Darris
May 9th, 2011, 06:41 PM
sorry it took so long to respond, i've been on vacation for the past week and had no internet.
My wine works now, maybe i just needed to reboot.
I like the idea of making it look like 10.10, but i want to make it easy on my cpu like 10.10.
When I had 10.10, I set it up in performance mode, because it kept going grey while I surfed on firefox. Now it's doing that again and i don't know how to free up my cpu. or even monitor it anymore because there are no panels lol

but i'll have a look at that link now and update when i finish.

Rick B.
May 9th, 2011, 11:55 PM
Based on what I've seen here on the forums since Natty came out, I think that 10.10 is going to be the end of the line for me and Ubuntu. Just like I stopped with Windows at XP SP2. After that, WIN upgrades were all downhill for the most part.

I was always skeptical about having an upgrade every 6 mos. Way too often. Even MS can't get it right when they come out with a new release every 2-3 years, let alone only after 6 mos.

There are other very good Linux versions to choose from. Take a look at DistroWatch.com. There's a lot of good material there to make comparisons among the different versions of Linux.

Long live Linux, but maybe not Ubuntu. Best wishes.

wilee-nilee
May 10th, 2011, 12:10 AM
sorry it took so long to respond, i've been on vacation for the past week and had no internet.
My wine works now, maybe i just needed to reboot.
I like the idea of making it look like 10.10, but i want to make it easy on my cpu like 10.10.
When I had 10.10, I set it up in performance mode, because it kept going grey while I surfed on firefox. Now it's doing that again and i don't know how to free up my cpu. or even monitor it anymore because there are no panels lol

but i'll have a look at that link now and update when i finish.

There are a couple of ways to monitor what's being used, one is installing conky it is a desktop custom-izable read out of what ever you want that uses very little resources.

The other is htop which is run from a terminal as htop you will see what's running and can stop it, top in the terminal will let you know as well.

I like the idea of trying the classic desktop as suggested, just note that there is no reliable way of downgrading distro's. People do it and claim success once in awhile, but with a understanding of the Ubuntu and Linux OS in general, I doubt it to be honest, as far as long term stability.

If you want Unity and the cube cube and all check out this link it may also show you where you went and how to fix it.
http://reformedmusings.wordpress.com/2011/05/05/howto-get-the-compiz-desktop-cube-in-ubuntu-11-04-natty-and-unity/

I have Unity running on both Natty and Oneiric with the cube, and other compiz effects, you gotta be a bit brave to do it.