PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Thoughts on Ubuntu 11.04....

buster2209
May 2nd, 2011, 12:32 AM
As always, when the new Ubuntu release comes along, I'm dying to get my hands on it and try it out.

First things first, I always back up my data and try the update feature. This invariably breaks something which when I try to remedy, breaks something else so I end up giving up and installing a fresh OS. 11.04 did not dissapoint and caused a complete mess of my desktop which made me try a fresh install. This is just one of the many quirks that I have learned to live with and have almost come to embrace.....

I've been hearing about Unity for while and was looking forward to trying it out and wow, I was so exasperated and stressed out by Unity I quickly wanted to know why on earth Ubuntu went with this UI instead of Gnome2 or Gnome3. Much like Vista finally killed my relationship with Windows and forced me to seek out an alternative UI (Ubuntu 8.04), the utter frustrating experience of Unity caused me to think of the same. After a quick peruse around this forum, it seemed I wasn't the only one with the same opinion....

Unity feels like a touch phone UI and would be best suited for netbooks or those with touch screens but as the standard release, it seems a ball was dropped at Ubuntu. Unity appears to try and shield users from making any real changes to customising Ubuntu to whatever the users wants which, IMO, alienates the core group of Ubuntu users who have become accustomed to tinkering limitlessly with settings.

Whilst I am aware that one can go back to Gnome2, this seems to be an option that will be phased out in favour of Gnome3.

After figuring out how get Gnome3 onto 11.04 (which meant I didn't have to explore other Unix distros), I was mostly impressed with what I saw. It needs a fair bit of refinement, but the idea seems good. I do miss applets in the panel though and I hope this will somehow become incorporated into the new panel in Gnome3 (the one located at the bottom of the screen).

I did see that in 11.10, gnome3 will be in the repos (http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/04/gnome3-packages-begin-trickling-into-ubuntu-11-10/) without the need of a PPA and, as mentioned above, this was probabaly a good idea seeing as Gnome3 needs a bit of refinement before I would want to fully switch from 2 to 3.

Given that Ubuntu seems set on Unity as the default UI, maybe GUbuntu may be in the offering.....

Unfortunately, I don't own a netbook or a touch phone so Unity isn't for me.

After considering all things, as long as Ubuntu doesn't drop Gnome support, another UI can ony make the Ubuntu brand stronger.

Unfortunately, I don't own a netbook or touch phone, so Unity isn't for me.