PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Using scripts in Nautilus under 11.04 and Unity DE.

irv
May 1st, 2011, 10:56 PM
When I used Nautilus in Ubuntu 10.10, I keep all my Nautilus scripts in .gnome2/nautilus-scripts directory and when I right mouse clicked on a file or directory I had an option to open with a script. How can I do this in 11.04 using Unity? Things changed there is no script option on the right mouse click menu any more. Is it possible to get this option back?

Under Unity it still uses Nautilus so I would thing this would be possible.
I put all my scripts back in .gnome2, so I am thinking they have to go in something like .unity or something like that. There is a .nautilus but it is empty.

EDIT: I marked this thread Solved.

efflux
May 10th, 2011, 12:03 AM
I changed back to gnome from the log in window and I have the old location inside .gnome2 for nautilus scripts but they won't work.

To be honest, I see this release of Ubuntu as the death of Ubuntu. I've had masses of problems. I'm going back to 10.10 until I decide on an alternative distribution. Other systems I have now run Debian.

fjgaude
May 10th, 2011, 12:14 AM
I'm not sure what's going on but I simply replaced my old nautilus-scripts root file with this one:

#!/bin/bash
# Opens a nautilus window as root.
gksudo nautilus

I did the same kind of thing with gedit and other similar scripts.

mc4man
May 10th, 2011, 12:39 AM
There has been no great change in nautilus between 10.04 >> 11.04

See no problem creating and using nautilus scripts, same way, same location
There are 2 choices as far as nautilus-scripts-manager packages, using the latest here (1.5-1

irv
May 10th, 2011, 02:44 AM
I'm not sure what's going on but I simply replaced my old nautilus-scripts root file with this one:

#!/bin/bash
# Opens a nautilus window as root.
gksudo nautilus

I did the same kind of thing with gedit and other similar scripts.
Thanks for the tip, I went with script files also. Nautilus right mouse click menu doesn't even have a script selection on the menu. If no one know if this can be done, then I will give it a few more days then I will mark this thread solved because of the fact this can also be done with scripts.

mc4man
May 10th, 2011, 03:32 AM
Really don't see any issue with ~/.gnome2/nautilus-scripts/
Works just like before, the r. click, 'scripts', is available everywhere but in an app window
Ex. - new install, just made one to open an album in audacious

irv
May 10th, 2011, 03:49 AM
Really don't see any issue with ~/.gnome2/nautilus-scripts/
Works just like before, the r. click, 'scripts', is available everywhere but in an app window
Ex. - new install, just made one to open an album in audacious

No Scripts available on mine:

irv
May 10th, 2011, 03:53 AM
Oh ya, I have all my scripts files in .gnome2/nautilus-scripts:

mc4man
May 10th, 2011, 04:37 AM
No Scripts available on mine:
Clearly it isn't -
I can't imagine it's the theme (though I use ambiance

What i'd probably do - rename and move the nautilus-scripts folder somewhere for safe keeping
Completely remove nautilus-scripts manager in synaptic or apt-get purge, then log out/in
Re-install nautilus-scripts manager, open ~/.gnome2/nautilus-scripts and just to test - r. click > Create Folder
Then see if 'scripts' and it (untitled folder) shows up on the r.click

If so then move your scripts into the new nautilus-scripts folder and see if they also show up.
If so you can delete the untitled folder

irv
May 10th, 2011, 05:15 AM
Clearly it isn't -
I can't imagine it's the theme (though I use ambiance

What i'd probably do - rename and move the nautilus-scripts folder somewhere for safe keeping
Completely remove nautilus-scripts manager in synaptic or apt-get purge, then log out/in
Re-install nautilus-scripts manager, open ~/.gnome2/nautilus-scripts and just to test - r. click > Create Folder
Then see if 'scripts' and it (untitled folder) shows up on the r.click

If so then move your scripts into the new nautilus-scripts folder and see if they also show up.
If so you can delete the untitled folder

Well, I gave this a try, and back to square one.

nolo
May 12th, 2011, 06:27 PM
Be sure to make your scripts executable otherwise the scripts option won't appear in your context menu.

irv
May 12th, 2011, 06:38 PM
Be sure to make your scripts executable otherwise the scripts option won't appear in your context menu.

I had them all mark executable and they all had the check mark in the box, but it was grayed out. I selected them all and re-marked them and the gray went away and everything works.

pmorton
May 19th, 2011, 10:28 AM
Thanks for all the help on this, particularly nolo above.

Here's a recap:

Nautilus scripts work as normal in Unity. Locate scripts just as with gnome - in the directory ~/.gnome2/nautilus-scripts.
Ensure they're all execute-enabled. The scripts option will appear as normal in Nautilus when a right click is made.

irv
May 19th, 2011, 01:39 PM
Thanks for all the help on this, particularly nolo above.

Here's a recap:

Nautilus scripts work as normal in Unity. Locate scripts just as with gnome - in the directory ~/.gnome2/nautilus-scripts.
Ensure they're all execute-enabled. The scripts option will appear as normal in Nautilus when a right click is made.

Now that I have installed Gnome 3, it works there too.