PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] natty monospace font not monospace

kornelix
May 1st, 2011, 10:44 PM
I did a new install of 11.04 on a desktop PC. My problem is that selecting "monospace" font in any application (e.g. terminal preferences) does not result in a monospace font. If I choose a specific monospace font such as Liberation mono, it works fine. But some apps specify something like "monospace 10" and expect this to be mapped to a monospace font. This worked OK in Ubuntu 10.10 and previous, but apparently not in 11.04. Selecting a specific monospace font in the appearances utility also makes no difference. So what is wrong and how can I fix this? Where is the mapping of "monospace" to a specific font being done?

kornelix
May 2nd, 2011, 08:18 AM
This is related to the message "Fontconfig error: Cannot load default config file" which is output when many programs are started, e.g. the command "gedit" or "firefox" from a terminal window will output this error.

I reinstalled "ubuntu-desktop" and rebooted to make sure I had not removed something necessary. No change. This smells like a real problem in Natty.

dkrig
May 3rd, 2011, 01:47 PM
Same problem here, but with italic - http://is.gd/cHHmHC
Appeared after update to 11.04.

kornelix
May 18th, 2011, 05:05 PM
I did a complete re-install and the problem went away. I don't know why, but presumably I made a mistake.