PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Unity Launcher Icons

Derek Karpinski
May 1st, 2011, 10:36 PM
I've installed Office 2007 under wine, and would like to add launchers for Word, Excel, etc to the Unity launcher bar.

So, I've created a launcher on the Desktop that will run Word with wine. I've changed the icon to the Word Icon and everything works great from the desktop. If I drag that launcher to the Unity bar, it adds it, but changes the icon to the springboard default icon that new launchers use. Please see attached picture.

As a side note, I am really starting to like Unity (puts on flamesuit), but it seems very easy to break the install of 11.04. I've had to reinstall 4 times now.:(

Thanks!

Derek Karpinski
May 2nd, 2011, 06:48 PM
Bump for help. :)

epictete
May 9th, 2011, 11:44 AM
I've got exactly the same problem and am very interesting in a solution!

Sisophon2001
May 9th, 2011, 12:11 PM
Bump for help. :)

I did not see this problem when I added a wine program to my menu. From what I remember I used the finder (the search for application box - don't know hat is is called) to locate the program, and I dragged and dropped it from there. But my wine programs had a preconfigured icon from my upgrade.

Garvan

deaddy
May 9th, 2011, 12:25 PM
I have a similar problem too, when i create a launcher for a java app it is disappearing after reboot.

How can i fix this?

Derek Karpinski
May 9th, 2011, 06:32 PM
I did not see this problem when I added a wine program to my menu. From what I remember I used the finder (the search for application box - don't know hat is is called) to locate the program, and I dragged and dropped it from there. But my wine programs had a preconfigured icon from my upgrade.

Garvan

Tried that too. Either it wouldn't 'stick' to the launcher, or I got a wine bottle as an icon. Could never get the Word icon.......is this some conspiracy against MS???:confused:

Sisophon2001
May 10th, 2011, 03:37 PM
Sorry I tried it again and I cant get it to work now. I don't understand why it appeared to work before. Sorry, I will look around to see how to solve this and let you know if I find anything.

Garvan

zae_bdn
May 12th, 2011, 12:54 PM
I've installed Office 2007 under wine, and would like to add launchers for Word, Excel, etc to the Unity launcher bar.

So, I've created a launcher on the Desktop that will run Word with wine. I've changed the icon to the Word Icon and everything works great from the desktop. If I drag that launcher to the Unity bar, it adds it, but changes the icon to the springboard default icon that new launchers use. Please see attached picture.

As a side note, I am really starting to like Unity (puts on flamesuit), but it seems very easy to break the install of 11.04. I've had to reinstall 4 times now.:(

Thanks!

THAT'S WHAT I HAD JUST GOOGLIN'... SEE U :)

You problem could be beacause of the program launcher. I assume your .desktop file contains Exec=wine '/home/user/.wine/dosdevices/c:/Program...' and so on. Try making a bash binary wich contains something like this:
#!/bin/bash cd '/home/aldomann/.wine/dosdevices/c:/Archivos de programa/Warcraft II BNE' wine 'Warcraft II BNE.exe'
Name it for instance warcraft2 and move it to /usr/bin (or any PATH variable, wich you can know by typing echo $PATH on the Terminal)

Then in your .desktop file instead of Exec=wine '...' use Exec=warcraft2. I think Unity will assume this is not a wine program and will use your icon, but it is only conjecture.

Hope it works ;)

By default your Wine apps .desktops are placed on /home/user/.local/share/applications/wine

Instead of modifying an existing .desktop file you can create a new one and place it on /home/user/.local/share/applications. It should be something like this:
[Desktop Entry] Name=Application Comment=Comment Exec=app-binary Icon=app-icon Type=Application Terminal=false StartupNotify=true Categories=GTK;Utility
Tip: If you place your icon on /home/user/.icons/ (i.e app-icon.png) you will only have to put Icon=app-icon.

mcduck
May 12th, 2011, 01:03 PM
In my experience the best way is to simply create the launcher like you would have done in previous Ubuntu version, by using the Main Menu editor to create a proper menu entry for your programs. After that they will appear correctly in Dash searches and you can reliably add them to the Unity Launcher as well.

Frogs Hair
May 12th, 2011, 02:36 PM
I have the Firefox Nightly browser and to change the icon to match my set I went .icon folder in hidden / home > Awoken . I entered 128x128 Apps folder and selected the icon and saved to home > renamed the icon and added it back to the same folder . After this I restarted

The trick to find the correct name and that took a few tries . If you are using Ubuntu icons the location will probably be usr/share in the file system and you could add an icon you have found on the net as well .

zeddock
June 6th, 2011, 11:51 PM
In my experience the best way is to simply create the launcher like you would have done in previous Ubuntu version, by using the Main Menu editor to create a proper menu entry for your programs. After that they will appear correctly in Dash searches and you can reliably add them to the Unity Launcher as well.

This worked for me. Hope it sticks!

Go to System Settings via the button in the top right for Log-Off and Shutdown... (it is at the bottom of the menu.)
Now go to Main Menu

Pick an area and add a launcher, making sure you have the icon you want... (There may be an issue with whether it is 32 or 48 pixels!)

Once it is there, you can find it via a search in the upper left hand "dash" icon.

Once you find it there, drag and release on the unity bar.

It even kept my icon!

Thanx!

zeddock