PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Alternative to Ubuntu

rigel4
May 1st, 2011, 09:33 PM
I have been using Ubuntu for about a year now, and exclusively for about six months.
I Like it, and it was doing everything i need. However I was expecting a little more from the new release.
I don't use the new Unity function, it's just a dock and a bad one at that, there are better docks out there "Cairo" dock is one of them.
Canonical have said that Unity is the future, and that's fine, but it means that the Gnome desktop will not be
further developed, at least , that's my take on it.
With this in mind could more knowledgeable people recommend me a new Linux alternative to Ubuntu, as i may have to soon leave it behind.
My needs are very simple, ease of use, Support for VM's , Office and some development. I also like to have a nice looking desktop with out using too many add ons.

Copper Bezel
May 1st, 2011, 09:54 PM
The Gnome desktop is still being developed. Gnome 3 will be included in 11.10, offering the option of installing and using Gnome Shell, and it does come with its own "fallback" mode, very similar to the Classic desktop. There are also, as you say, better docks out there if you'd prefer something in place of Unity.

Just using Ubuntu doesn't keep you from using any of the other options available. It's a widely supported and stable Linux, and you can run whatever environment you want on it. Conversely, switching to another OS won't give you any DE options you don't already have.

3Miro
May 1st, 2011, 09:55 PM
You are not necessarily looking for a different distro so much as a different desktop environment. You can try both KDE and XFCE on your current 11.04 install. Check this tutorial on how to install other DE.

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/index.php

The choice to kill Gnome2 was made by the developers of Gnome2 and had nothing to do with Ubuntu. The new UI of Gnome is Gnome-shell, but this is definitely not for everyone. Thus Canonical made their own interface: Unity.

On 11.04 you can use Unity or Classic interface. On 11.10 you will have Unity (3d, 2d) and Gnome-shell. If those don't work for you, consider KDE and/or XFCE. KDE has more options and is definitely "fancier", while XFCE is very similar to Gnome2, XFCE is just quite a bit faster.

MindRiot
May 1st, 2011, 10:05 PM
Linux Mint

rigel4
May 1st, 2011, 10:23 PM
Yes I think that is what I am after, don't really need a new distro, just a different desktop environment.
Would i be right in saying that I would need to reinstall my os with Kubuntu, or can this be done while i am
using what i have right now.

Thanks for your replies above.

rigel4
May 1st, 2011, 10:50 PM
Using the terminal I am Installing kde. Thanks for all for your advice.
After I Install and have a fiddle , i will post my thoughts.

ReMO451
May 1st, 2011, 11:08 PM
sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

After this is installed, log out, then select "Kubuntu desktop" in the sessions menu at the log in screen.

rigel4
May 2nd, 2011, 12:40 PM
sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktopAfter this is installed, log out, then select "Kubuntu desktop" in the sessions menu at the log in screen.

I missed your reply last night and it would have been the answer, but in the mean time i have installed a full copy of Kubuntu and love it. I am a little disorientated because i am so use to Gnome, but I think i will be keeping this, provided it is as stable as Gnome.

Thanks again