PDA

View Full Version : BlackBerry->Linux->Blackberry; what seems to be the issue?

dreamquartz
May 1st, 2011, 09:25 PM
Being a BlackBerry and Ubuntu abuser, I, as many others, am looking to sync and backup under Linux, without any problems. When reading the threads, you find all kinds of questions about how to do what, and all kinds of solutions. My question is: "Are the issues between a BlackBerry and Linux being clearly identified that cause the problems between a BlackBerry at one end and Linux, in general, at the other?" So far I have never been able to determine what the issues are between the two. I know that a lot of efforts are under way to make the two communicate the way they should, but what is(are) the real problem(s) in the first place?

AllenGG
May 2nd, 2011, 01:08 AM
Good points, and a constant complaint.. The support at RIM for Linux is really lagging. Considering that RIM is supposed to be leading edge I seriously wonder where their brains are hiding.
My Blackberry 8310 Curve was supposedly Bleeding Edge when I got it 3,(4?) years ago.
So, the O/S needed upgrading, no help from RIM. I did the upgrade on a Windows machine, dangerous at best.
Plus, I have needed to take messages occasionally, no help once again ! Needed to do a backup, did that, have all the files. but back to a MSwindows program.

Here's the deal : the head honchos think (?) that there are no Linux people out there, and we don't use Blackberrys.
Communicating with RIM is difficult. No wonder their stocks are dropping !

At this point the best answer is Barry ! here: http://www.netdirect.ca/software/packages/barry
(Opensync Blackberry plugin, based on the Barry project)

Note: after installing Barry it will only work when you plug in your Blackberry

Please report your results.:cool:

Throne777
May 2nd, 2011, 01:39 AM
Good points, and a constant complaint.. The support at RIM for Linux is really lagging. Considering that RIM is supposed to be leading edge I seriously wonder where their brains are hiding.
My Blackberry 8310 Curve was supposedly Bleeding Edge when I got it 3,(4?) years ago.
So, the O/S needed upgrading, no help from RIM. I did the upgrade on a Windows machine, dangerous at best.

Far as I know it's impossible to upgrade your Blackberry using Linux (currently, anyway). I had to use a friends laptop running Vista (because her laptop sucked, a 5 minute process literally took an hour).

dreamquartz
May 2nd, 2011, 05:22 AM
Again, solutions are provided, but I am looking for the (identified) issues surrounding the BB->Linux->BB links. If the issues are "clearly" identified, it should be possible to come to a solution.