PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Issues with Installation

TheEvilDeadGirl
May 1st, 2011, 07:54 PM
I am pulling out my hair! :o
I've been having terrible issues with windows xp. I had to do a total system restore. I am now trying to install Unbuntu. I have a disc and also tried to download from the website. I keep getting an error when installing from disc that I don't have enough space. I also tried to install using windows but my windows is so HUGELY messed up I can't the the program to install. I am wondering if I need to reformat something. I'm don't care if windows is wiped out for eternity! Am I perhaps low on space some where? I did a destructive F11 recovery to get rid of everything or so I thought. HELP ME OH PLEASE! ;)
Heather

Dutch70
May 1st, 2011, 08:13 PM
Hi and welcome to the UF Heather

Did you try to run Ubuntu from the live cd/usb to see if it will run on your hardware before attempting the install?

If not, I suggest you do this first. Post back when you're on there, or if you can't.

TheEvilDeadGirl
May 1st, 2011, 08:28 PM
THANK YOU :)
Yes, I tried to install both ways. I try from the disc and it starts and gets about 70% complete then tells me I don't have enough space.
I also try to download from windows...It downloads but will not open.
Do I need to do something to wipe out my hard drive maybe. UGH lol
Thanks for your reply! I'm lost over here!!!

TheEvilDeadGirl
May 1st, 2011, 08:37 PM
Oh yes. I've been using the disc for quite sometime but never tried to install. Only the last eight hours!

Dutch70
May 1st, 2011, 08:37 PM
LOL, don't thank me yet... :P

Now that you're booted to the live cd. Open Gparted & take a screenshot of your partitions.
Attach it to your next post using the paper clip in the toolbar.

ps. Are you trying to partition your hard drive and install Ubuntu to it's own partition, or are you using Wubi aka windows installer?

Rubi1200
May 1st, 2011, 08:40 PM
Even if you are trying to use Wubi, post the screenshot asked for by Dutch70 as it may help us figure out what is going on.

Additionally, if you could open a terminal on the LiveCD and post the output of the following command that would also be great:

sudo fdisk -lu
(note that is a lowercase L not 1)

Thanks.