PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Natty with Gnome 3? Also JPEE issues.

coljohnhannibalsmith
May 1st, 2011, 07:45 PM
Hello,

I just upgraded to Natty, and found that I couldn't use, didn't like Unity, so I went back to Gnome.

I'm currently running Gnome 2; and I'm wondering if there would be any benefit to installing Gnome 3 instead, or if doing so would just break things?

Does anyone have an opinion on this, and how I might be able to recover, if things go awry?

Also, I'm currently running JPEE, which will not display the preferences window. I mean to say that the window opens, but displays as blank. This has been the case since I upgraded to Maverick. I'm on Natty now, and I still have the problem. The window just stays in the minimized state, and will not maximize.

JPEE is a JAVA based ap, BTW.

Thanks, Hannibal

zvacet
May 1st, 2011, 09:06 PM
AFAIK if you install Gnome3 it will break Unity,so I donīt know how smart that is.Also I didnīt find yet way to remove Unity completely so you can use Gnome3 without problems.

coljohnhannibalsmith
May 2nd, 2011, 11:46 PM
Thanks for the reply,

I think you're right. I also read recently that Gnome 3 was not ready for release in Natty, and is expected to be released with Oneiric.

God I hate Unity. It's basically a Tablet-UI, which is primarily designed for 'touch-screens,' and in my opinion is 'not' suitable as a Desktop-UI, which has to be much more generic, and much more flexible. That's why it uses such 'BIG' icons. It looks like a fine Tablet/Smartphone UI. I just don't want to see it on my non-touch-screen enabled desktop or Laptop.

I've read that 'Mark' is trying to get Ubuntu profitable by competing with Android in the Tablet market. I don't blame him for this. I'd like to see Unbuntu get into the embedded device Market. I also agree with the switch to Wayland vs X. From what I've read, Wayland is a much better performer, although I've also read that there may be network-transparency issues with Wayland, which is a problem X doesn't have.

Ubuntu is also doing a good job of dumping apps that aren't being properly maintained. It just dumped Rhythm-box, which was buggy, and replaced it with Banshee, which is 'not.' This was a 'good' decision. They also dumped 'OpenOffice' and replaced it with 'LibreOffice,' which is essentially the same product, but is being properly maintained, which OpenOffice is starting 'not' to be. OpenOffice also has some proprietary issues with Oracle, which LibreOffice does not. While some of us are afraid that Ubuntu is becoming more 'closed' the decision to adopt LibreOffice is definately 'pro-open-source.'

I also noticed during the upgrade to Natty, that DRM was being loaded. Is this giving me the option of using DRM, or is this an M$-like censorship control? If it's the latter, I'm pissed, and I'll be going to Debian or BSD in a heart-beat! If Ubuntu starts checking for DRM and phoning home, or if someone discovers a tracking-file like the kind that was just discovered on the I-Phones/Spy-Phones, the honey-moon's over!!!:confused:

I'll also post to this forum if I find-out!

Here's the thing... Mark/Ubuntu 'are' making some 'good' decisions that 'are' supportive of the users; however, I think 'they' could do a 'BETTER' job of keeping 'us' informed. Just keep talking to us Mark; and if we have concerns about some of your potential decisions, give us a chance to discuss them with you. If you do just-this-much, you'll continue to have our trust and support for as long as you want or need it. Also, if you're experiencing profitability-issues give us the opportunity to contribute financially. I'm sure Ubuntu has cost you tens-of-millions of Rands to produce. If you get into trouble, please let the users know...

Hannibal