PDA

View Full Version : Has Anyone Else Found Unity Can't Fullscreen Applications?

Throne777
May 1st, 2011, 07:05 PM
This isn't another 'I dislike Unity' thread (so please don't just use this as an excuse to rant about Unity). For the record, I like Unity despite the bugs, etc. Anyway.

I've noticed that Unity can't handle things full screening. If I fullscreen a video on BBC iPlayer I just get a graphical mess (though occasionally Youtube vids can fullscreen after a bit of fuss). If I try to run XBMC I just get a computer crippling graphical mess (that said, XBMC used to occasionally do this on 10.10, so maybe that's a fault my end exacerbated on upgrading to 11.04?) I can't do anything about and have to physically turn my computer on and off again.

I remember someone else mentioning in another thread another program that ran fullscreen stopped working when they changed to 11.04.

Has anyone else found this or is it some odd curse I happened to have given myself?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1661830
This thread mentions that there are some known issues with XBMC & 11.04 (but this was in January, so...), but not that it doesn't work at all.

I haven't filed this in a help section because I imagine not much can be done about it (apart from wait for the bug to be fixed?) on my end?

(That said, Firefox itself seems to fullscreen OK)

cgroza
May 1st, 2011, 08:02 PM
Works fine here.

L !
May 2nd, 2011, 10:40 PM
I confirm. XBMC can't deal with the Unity's top bar. Moovida seems ok with, so VLC does. I'm talking about one monitor (notebooks one). When I plug a TV via HDMI (as I use to do) XBMC stays absolutely out of place -- half of the screen lays on each monitor and Moovida shows the desktop wallpaper trough uncovered borders. VLC works (as always) fine.
In early version of Ubuntu (the Maverick) my Intel Video Card gave me a green coloured screen, so I used Windows and XMBC to conecto to TV . But the same problem (the weird window positionig) happened in my teste. So, It's not a Unity problem. The onipresent top-bar may be. As it didn't happen before.

juancarlospaco
May 2nd, 2011, 11:20 PM
You dont have enought VGA card power, use Unity 2D instead.

spupy
May 3rd, 2011, 12:02 AM
It's not only that! Say you fullscreen Chromium/Firefox/some other app that has fullscreen mode. Switch to another desktop, then back. The app is still in fullscreen, but most probably the unity dock and the panel are above the fullscreen app. Now you need to toggle the fullscreen mode to make the program usable again.