PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Unity is not working??

EminentSavage
May 1st, 2011, 06:14 PM
Alright so i have been waiting for the release of 11.04 for quite some time now. And when i finally get it, and i boot from my liveCD, there is no Unity desktop interface. It's weird, because i can boot in other computers, and it'll work. This tells me there is something specific about my computer as to why it won't work. I can't seem to figure it out. I've heard people say to switch to classic mode, and that'll fix it. But i don't even know how to switch to classic mode. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

Frogs Hair
May 1st, 2011, 06:30 PM
I have an Nvidia graphics card and I had add a driver in Classic Gnone before I could boot into Unity . (dual boot)

To select either environment in a normal installation , after entering your pass word you can select the environment from the bottom panel of the login screen. I did not try to boot from the live cd prior to installation.

EminentSavage
May 1st, 2011, 06:43 PM
I have an Nvidia graphics card and I had add a driver in Classic Gnone before I could boot into Unity . (dual boot)

To select either environment in a normal installation , after entering your pass word you can select the environment from the bottom panel of the login screen. I did not try to boot from the live cd prior to installation.
See, the only issue with actually INSTALLING Ubuntu on my computer is that for some reason, it's not recognizing my hard drive.

ankspo71
May 1st, 2011, 07:30 PM
Hi,
The first thing you should see after the 11.04 live cd starts is an open window that have buttons that say "Try Ubuntu" and "Install Ubuntu". Are you able to see this window? Are you able to see any 'functional' desktop?

http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/458/installthumb.th.jpg (http://img684.imageshack.us/i/installthumb.jpg/)
Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

And when i finally get it, and i boot from my liveCD, there is no Unity desktop interface. It's weird, because i can boot in other computers, and it'll work. This tells me there is something specific about my computer as to why it won't work

For the people who have 3D capable graphics drivers already installed by default, as far as I know the Unity desktop should appear if they click on the "Try Ubuntu" button, or close the window by clicking on the close button.

Nvidia graphic card users (like myself) will not be able to see the Unity desktop on the live cd because they don't have 3d capable drivers installed, so Ubuntu is supposed to fallback to the traditional Gnome 2-paneled desktop when they click on the "Try Ubuntu" button, or close the window by clicking on the close button.

As for why Ubuntu is not detecting your hard drive, and you possibly not being able to see any desktop at all, then perhaps the live cd is not loading completely/properly. You might want to consider downloading the ubuntu 11.04 alternate install cd, which does not boot into a live graphical environment - at least to see if it does detect your hard drive properly.

Hope this helps.

Philip Gray
July 20th, 2011, 05:17 PM
Hi ankspo71

I have also found that when I boot from the 11.04 live cd, which I got from ubuntu.user issue 09, that I get the Gnome 2 desktop. Your comments on the NVidia cards are helpful. I have been very puzzled as why I was not getting the Unity desktop. I have a NVidia G98 GeForce 8400 GS graphics card.

I was wondering that when you say they don't have 3D drivers installed, do you mean on the live cd? I have them installed in my 10.04. I had hoped to play around with the Unity desktop to see what it could do. Oh well.

Regards
Philip