PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite Ubuntu default wallpaper?

racie
May 1st, 2011, 06:07 PM
Sorry I could only have a max of ten poll options. :/

All of the images are here (I can't post more than 8) http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/09/a-look-back-at-every-ubuntu-default-wallpaper/

Spice Weasel
May 1st, 2011, 06:12 PM
Dawn of Ubuntu (6.something non-default I believe?)

http://i.imgur.com/Kitosl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/xfDvBl.jpg

Otherwise, definitely Hardy's default.

howefield
May 1st, 2011, 06:13 PM
I guess Hardy gets the vote from me, although I don't think I ever stuck with a default.

These days, wallpaper and fonts (sizes) are about the only part of the default theme I still change.

racie
May 1st, 2011, 06:26 PM
I guess Hardy gets the vote from me, although I don't think I ever stuck with a default.

I don't think anyone really keeps the default, but a wallpaper is part of the first impression a user gets of the OS. IMO, Hardy and Intrepid really nailed this.

whitefort
May 1st, 2011, 06:27 PM
I loved the grungy Ibex wallpaper so much that I still regularly use it. But I bet it won't be the outstanding favourite.

I remember at the time there was some criticism about how it kinda looked like a skull, (or a coffee stain) and I can see that too.

Anyway, for me, it's the best yet.

Bart_D
May 1st, 2011, 06:32 PM
Sorry I could only have a max of ten poll options. :/

All of the images are here (I can't post more than 8) http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/09/a-look-back-at-every-ubuntu-default-wallpaper/

1. Definitely Intrepid Ibex. I loved it!
2. Jaunty Jackalope - Very professional look and feel

HONORABLE MENTION - Not default, but the purple one that is an option(and has been so for the last 1 or 2 releases) - feels very clean!

Frogs Hair
May 1st, 2011, 06:36 PM
I liked the 9.04 wallpaper even though I never used that release. The first thing I do is remove the default wallpaper because I have not liked any of them.

racie
May 1st, 2011, 06:49 PM
HONORABLE MENTION - Not default, but the purple one that is an option(and has been so for the last 1 or 2 releases) - feels very clean!

Hmm... can you maybe post a pic of it or describe it more? The last three releases have had a purple wallpaper as the default and I can't find another purple wallpaper in the 10.10 choices. Is it in Natty?

forrestcupp
May 1st, 2011, 06:52 PM
I loved the grungy Ibex wallpaper so much that I still regularly use it. But I bet it won't be the outstanding favourite.

The Ibex was my favorite, too. I loved the colors and how they worked an ibex into it.

_outlawed_
May 1st, 2011, 06:58 PM
Out of all of those, I'd have to say 9.04 Jaunty even though I started using Ubuntu at 9.10.

I just love grunge type wallpapers.

Bart_D
May 1st, 2011, 07:00 PM
Hmm... can you maybe post a pic of it or describe it more? The last three releases have had a purple wallpaper as the default and I can't find another purple wallpaper in the 10.10 choices. Is it in Natty?

Yes!):P It' s plain purple......no colors, no shinning stars or galaxies! Nothing!

JUST PURPLE! Dark Purple. Goes well with the default theme colors.

TeoBigusGeekus
May 1st, 2011, 07:35 PM
I liked gutsy's elephant skin wallpaper (http://i.imgur.com/kEaRf.jpg).

racie
May 1st, 2011, 08:41 PM
Yes!):P It' s plain purple......no colors, no shinning stars or galaxies! Nothing!

JUST PURPLE! Dark Purple. Goes well with the default theme colors.

How come you can't see it as an option to select?

Ohh! I'm pretty sure you can do that with any color. The default of the single color wallpaper is purple, though.

Rasa1111
May 1st, 2011, 08:43 PM
10.04 and 10.10

Random_Dude
May 1st, 2011, 10:06 PM
8.04 LTS Hardy Heron

The first Ubuntu version I used and still my favorite default wallpaper. It's probably a very popular opinion, but I think that it was the best.
I never used 8.10, but it's definitely my second favorite.

2008 was a good year for Ubuntu's wallpapers. :D

Cheers :cool:

Ctrl-Alt-F1
May 1st, 2011, 10:17 PM
Hardy Heron. Maybe it's because it's the first Linux distribution I ever used, or maybe it's because it was awesome!

ilovelinux33467
May 1st, 2011, 10:19 PM
8.04 Hardy Heron

racie
May 1st, 2011, 11:22 PM
Hardy Heron. Maybe it's because it's the first Linux distribution I ever used, or maybe it's because it was awesome!

Yeah, I guess I'm guilty as having it be my first Ubuntu experience. The color scheme was never my favorite, but the whole picture definitely is.

It beautifully integrates the animal in the release name into the desktop.

I find it a shame that the two orange narwhals with the purple background didn't make it as the default wallpaper in the current release.

Tibuda
May 2nd, 2011, 01:20 AM
My fav was UbuntuStudio Gutsy, but I voted for Karmic.

SEisch
May 2nd, 2011, 04:39 AM
10.04 has my favourite default wallpaper. Even though I use 10.10. I like the way it contrasts with the default colors for the toolbars and windows.

ctrlmd
May 2nd, 2011, 05:05 AM
8.04 LTS Hardy Heron wallpaper
looks more artistic to me
with all respect to the other designers