PDA

View Full Version : What DE/WM are you using now?

PatrickMay16
May 1st, 2011, 06:00 PM
Hello,

There have recently been some big changes in desktop Linux. GNOME 3 and Unity have been released and people are beginning to use them. Some people like these new interfaces, and some people aren't happy and have moved on to use other interfaces.

What are you using right now?

PatrickMay16
May 1st, 2011, 06:03 PM
Myself, I'm using XFCE now. I had been using GNOME2 until last month, when I decided to switch away after reading news about GNOME3 and trying it out in a liveCD.

Spice Weasel
May 1st, 2011, 06:06 PM
I am using FVWM, you know, that desktop that I shamelessly advertise on the forums.

Reasons why... Hm. It's very stable, has been along for a very long time (I think it's the oldest WM that is still developed besides TWM) and is unlikely to change for a very long time. It has an amazing number of features for such a small program, customization ability that is unmatched to this day, powerful virtual desktop support, mouse gestures support and can imitate any desktop you can think of (besides desktops that utilize 3D).

Mine is set up to look like BeOS/Haiku but behave slightly differently (and my window borders are completely different)

Mmmbopdowedop
May 1st, 2011, 06:07 PM
Using XFCE 4.8 myself too, for the same reason as above.

Gnome was fine for me, but seeing Gnome3's new UI, it looks like they're heading in the wrong direction to me.
It's a hell of a lot less usable, was tempted with KDE but it's still slow as hell.

I like XFCE. :)

keithpeter
May 1st, 2011, 06:11 PM
Customised XFCE on the laptop (see sig), mainly because Unity looks weird on this screen. E17 on the Web book at the moment (Bodhi Linux, built on 10.04) but might put Unity Ubuntu on there. I tried the beta booting off a stick and quite liked it on the small screen. Gnome 2 on the main desktop (10.10) but may move to Xubuntu.

I've used puredyne a lot as a live cd and that is based on the older XFCE. Nice and basic.

Cheers all

aaaantoine
May 1st, 2011, 06:16 PM
I'm using Gnome 3 / Gnome Shell on my laptop, and Unity on my desktop. So I can't really vote without skewing the poll.

(Shouldn't this be a multiple-selection poll?)

Version Dependency
May 1st, 2011, 06:38 PM
I always keep going back to openbox. Super-fast...as stable as you can get...and I prefer right-click menus. \\:D/

forrestcupp
May 1st, 2011, 06:48 PM
Hello, PatrickMay16. I haven't seen you around in a very long time. It's good to see that face in your avatar again. :)

I'm currently using DWM. ;)

http://www.tiengiangnet.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/windows-7-desktop.jpg

Megaptera
May 1st, 2011, 06:48 PM
Hello,

There have recently been some big changes in desktop Linux. GNOME 3 and Unity have been released ...

Really? When did that happen? Why did no one tell me? This is the first I've read about it in these forums!! :lolflag:

_outlawed_
May 1st, 2011, 07:01 PM
I use both Unity and Gnome 2.

philnice
May 1st, 2011, 07:08 PM
I use GNOME 3, and i'll do anything just to stay with it.

toupeiro
May 1st, 2011, 07:08 PM
I'm between gnome 3 / gnome shell and E17.

Bart_D
May 1st, 2011, 07:30 PM
Myself, ....I decided to switch away after reading news about GNOME3 and trying it out in a liveCD.

Good sir, I just saw Gnome 3. YUCK! It looks terrible. There's text EVERYWHERE! Sorry but I could NEVER concentrate on anything if I were to be staring at that all the time.

As the saying goes: "EW!"

CraigPaleo
May 1st, 2011, 07:47 PM
Hello, PatrickMay16. I haven't seen you around in a very long time. It's good to see that face in your avatar again. :)

I'm currently using DWM. ;)

http://www.tiengiangnet.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/windows-7-desktop.jpg

You need to add a few more icons to your system tray. It looks bare. :p

forrestcupp
May 2nd, 2011, 07:50 PM
You need to add a few more icons to your system tray. It looks bare. :p

ha ha. That's a screen shot I found on Google. I only have about 5.