PDA

View Full Version : The global menu is freaking awesome!

el_koraco
May 1st, 2011, 04:00 PM
Just saying. I ain't running it on Unity, just regular Gnome, but why is everybody so POd about it? You get used to the thing in like ten minutes.

cgroza
May 1st, 2011, 04:28 PM
I love Unity and all the concept behind it.

There will be always a reaction like this one to new changes. I remember the fuzz about the window button position change.

el_koraco
May 1st, 2011, 04:33 PM
I even moved the buttons to the left, lol

CraigPaleo
May 1st, 2011, 04:47 PM
I frequently use more than one window at a time. Having to bring a window into focus and then go all the way to the top left to use the menu is a pain.

I cam from Mac and I was used to them then. When I came to Ubuntu, it was like a breath of fresh air not having to use that blasted global menu. I didn't realize how much I disliked them until I didn't have t use them.

TheNessus
May 1st, 2011, 04:50 PM
I frequently use more than one window at a time. Having to bring a window into focus and then go all the way to the top left to use the menu is a pain.

I cam from Mac and I was used to them then. When I came to Ubuntu, it was like a breath of fresh air not having to use that blasted global menu. I didn't realize how much I disliked them until I didn't have t use them.

Both a global menu and menu-bars are a waste.

Why don't windows of a menu BUTTON instead of a whole space-consuming bar? For instance, right up next to close-minimize-maximize?

el_koraco
May 1st, 2011, 04:56 PM
haters gonna hate...

CraigPaleo
May 1st, 2011, 04:57 PM
Both a global menu and menu-bars are a waste.

Why don't windows of a menu BUTTON instead of a whole space-consuming bar? For instance, right up next to close-minimize-maximize?

Having it on the titlebar would be ideal but I did something similar to that in KDE using the menubar widget in button mode on the panel. You can eliminate the top bar completely.

toupeiro
May 1st, 2011, 04:58 PM
and kool-aid drinkers drink?

:popcorn:

el_koraco
May 1st, 2011, 05:01 PM
and kool-aid drinkers drink?

:popcorn:

Excuse me, kind sir, but I didn't have the global menu enforced upon me. I have a standard three categories Gnome menu, and decided to use the gnome menu applet, not the indicator one, so my emotions are not clouded by popular consensus.