PDA

View Full Version : I am looking for a text editor...

AmpersUK
May 1st, 2011, 02:06 PM
... for my Netbook.

My objective is to make notes whenever I am stuck somewhere, whether on a train, in a coffee bar or in some sort of waiting room.

But what I want seems impossible to find, and it is so simple.

Most text editors will allow you to have several documents open at the same time, with tabs along the top. So far so good.

However, what I am looking for is a text editor which, when I close down and save, will save all the tabs as well so, when I launch the program again, all the open documents will reappear with their tabs along the top.

Is there such a program? Are my needs so unique? Surely many others would find such a program helpful?

A journalist working on several articles at the same time?
A businessman working on several letters and reports at the same time?
A programmer working on several programs at the same time?

Ampers.

hhh
May 1st, 2011, 02:16 PM
gedit-plugins includes a session saver for Gedit...
http://packages.ubuntu.com/natty/gedit-plugins

Sessions can be saved and loaded from File -> Saved sessions

cgroza
May 1st, 2011, 02:18 PM
Take a look at this:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/gecrit/
it has a deb too.
It has session support which respects your need.

ssam
May 1st, 2011, 02:21 PM
maybe something like http://www.giuspen.com/cherrytree/ would suit you.

ninjaaron
May 1st, 2011, 02:26 PM
That's how I use tomboy notes. No tabs, but everything else that you described. It also automatically backs up to your cloud, if you wish, so you can have all your notes on all of your computers. Might consider this as an option if you can get used the Tomboy navigator instead of tabs.

Simian Man
May 1st, 2011, 02:31 PM
Kate has session support and you can have it automatically save/restore a given session when closing or opening it.

3Miro
May 1st, 2011, 02:34 PM
Geany will not let you open two instances at the same time, but you can have multiple tabs and it will save them upon exit.

Other than that: gedit with some plugins perhaps and kate.

matthewbpt
May 1st, 2011, 03:12 PM
Geany will automatically open all the last tabs you had open before you last closed it. It is aimed towards programmers but there's no reason you can use it for normal text purposes. It's very fast and light and has lots of useful plugins. I use it for all my programming purposes.

Matt

PS, It's in the repos, sudo apt-get install geany, and I would recommend going to the view menu and un-ticking show sidebar and show message window, the you well get full use of your netbook screen real estate.

AmpersUK
May 1st, 2011, 04:37 PM
SOLVED

... for my Netbook.

My objective is to make notes whenever I am stuck somewhere, whether on a train, in a coffee bar or in some sort of waiting room.

But what I want seems impossible to find, and it is so simple.
Ampers.

Whoa! Thanks all. I tried to download the Gedit plugin and although I couldn't foind the right one, I found a lot more. But Geany seemed ideal. I only want four docs open so I can immediately work on them all and it is now set up just how I want it.

Really grateful as I downloaded quite a few without being able to do this.

Ampers