PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Natty upgrade no problem.......except unity is a bit wierd

newlinuxman5000
May 1st, 2011, 11:50 AM
I know it has been more that a month of Sundays sense my last post, so let me start by saying i am 100% converted to Linux now, and second I could not be happier. After my widnows partition got a virus, even with full comodo protection, and my paranoid OMG I'm surfing in windows mentality I throw it away....bout 6 months ago :-). Now than, I installed Natty with little issues, I may be the only person in this forum to say that. I believe it is because I Murphy proof myself long before hand. All is backed up online and in a second partiion. Also, I full expect the system to break, I'm secretly hopping it will but it never does. Now I will grant you this is my first "upgrade" experience so keep that in mind.

My first impression of Natty, well, I got excited about the look and feel. Realised, I'm old, disliked it and switched to classic view and got happy all over again at least a little bit.I'm going to play with it more, customise it a bit more and give it a chance but after an hour of not getting all I wanted done and the menuing in my opinion at this point is more cute that efficient I need time to adjust.

Pros,

Libreoffice "let's face it, oracle taking over just makes openoffice draconian"
The graphics have no flickered a bit sense the switch.
Unity to play with as try to get used to new things.

Con

My laptop is only 9 months old and slowed down by the extra bloat
Unity makes my arthritis hurt :-)
Yeah, I know, I'm lame and I use firestarter and it broke on impact with upgrading to natty but I got it fixed no big deal.

All in all natty is ok, I'm not going crazy over unity just yet. In short, I think it's slow, obnoxious and unnecessary. I'm going to get used to it I hope or Ill have to seek a new distro if this is the permanent direction and i just can't seem to get my head around it.

But other than that my upgrade went slow but smooth and classic view treats me right :-). Ill post more after I have more play time.