PDA

View Full Version : an app called "yes" crash my system

eGelor
May 1st, 2011, 09:21 AM
Hello friends,
when i boot my pc there are 3-4 process running from a small program called yes. To stop them, i had to kill them after boot.
Please post me back.

NovaAesa
May 1st, 2011, 09:46 AM
Why would you stop them? Were they doing something you didn't want them to do?

aG93IGRvIGkgdWJ1bnR1Pw==
May 1st, 2011, 11:03 AM
Or, you could just, you know, open another virtual terminal and kill them without rebooting.

Lucradia
May 1st, 2011, 11:20 AM
Why would you stop them? Were they doing something you didn't want them to do?

"yes" is a terminal program that feeds (infinitely) the word "yes" or any word given after its call. (Using yes appropriately, IE: Piping it through another command, however... will make it useful.)

So of course, leaving it on can cause CPU to increase dramatically over time. High End CPUs however won't crash for hours, if ever. (You may see considerable slowdown though.)

NovaAesa
May 1st, 2011, 12:00 PM
I'm aware of what the yes program does, I was just trying to establish the reason the OP was stopping the running instances of it. As you pointed out, if yes is used for its intended purpose by being piped into another program, it shouldn't be taking up many CPU cycles at all.

nerdopolis
May 1st, 2011, 02:54 PM
actually... it can use lots of CPU if you do
yes > /dev/nullthat command should bring the CPU usage to that of 1 CPU core.

(if you have a single core system it will use 100%, an on a dual core system 50%...)

EDIT: I just realized that NovaAesa had said "if its being used for its intended purpose" it should not be taking up too many CPU cycles... sorry

matthewbpt
May 1st, 2011, 03:07 PM
Strange that the program is running on every boot :S It isn't running on any of my machines.

eGelor
May 1st, 2011, 04:32 PM
Thank you all for replying at once.
Before i post this thread i read the man page of yes.
before a week there was no problem. i try to remove it but i cant.
Also i didnt said that i had to reboot my machine. i just kill yes at every boot of my machine.
Please post and answer.

Thank you all again.