PDA

View Full Version : Why does everyone like XBMC?

ki4jgt
May 1st, 2011, 08:17 AM
I recently installed XBMC. There were only a handful of apps (Some of which did not function) Not trying to put down the project, just trying to understand what everyone sees in it. (What I'm missing)

Paqman
May 1st, 2011, 12:19 PM
It's extremely stable, nice to look at and easy to drive. However, it doesn't really matter what I think of it. Media centre software has to pass the "non geek" test. If your spouse/partner, kids, grandparents, <insert non-geek here> can use it without instruction and likes the interface then it's a winner.

XBMC met with more approval than previous media centres i'd thrown at the family, so it's what we use.

I agree, the plugins can be a bit ropey, and aren't very well laid out, but the core functionality (playing videos and music) is rock solid.

Lucradia
May 1st, 2011, 12:26 PM
And I like totem and/or parole for DVDs and everything basically, I could just as well make a thread called "Why does everyone like <Insert Media Player>?"

But I won't, because I know how many people will get annoyed that I stick with the default, and they'll go on and on about how clunky the DVD Interface is, etc.

It's good that you like one thing over another, but I prefer simplicity and the ability to loop one track over and over, and, when I open a file, I don't want it added to the playlist, I want only that file on it.

ki4jgt
May 1st, 2011, 08:20 PM
And I like totem and/or parole for DVDs and everything basically, I could just as well make a thread called "Why does everyone like <Insert Media Player>?"

But I won't, because I know how many people will get annoyed that I stick with the default, and they'll go on and on about how clunky the DVD Interface is, etc.

It's good that you like one thing over another, but I prefer simplicity and the ability to loop one track over and over, and, when I open a file, I don't want it added to the playlist, I want only that file on it.

Well, I wasn't trying to be annoying, it's just, every site I go to has XBMC rated above everything else, Alternativesto.net lists XBMC above Boxee, so I was just trying to see if there was something I was missing from the picture which would give XBMC better functionality.

Throne777
May 2nd, 2011, 01:27 AM
It's extremely stable, nice to look at and easy to drive.

Disagreed on the stability part. It's crashed on me loads of times (crippling the entire system, each time I'd have to physically restart the computer), and I can't even get it to work on 11.04.

Lightstar
May 2nd, 2011, 02:11 AM
Works fine for me.
So I use it :)

juancarlospaco
May 2nd, 2011, 02:57 AM
...the sexy good looking source code...

inobe
May 2nd, 2011, 03:10 AM
what is the best way of setting up XBMC?

is it a myth backend with XBMC as the frontend?

cariboo
May 2nd, 2011, 05:58 AM
I used XBMC Live to install it on my media center pc, it just plain works for me. I only use the system for watching videos, ripped DVDs and listening to music. All my media is located on my file server, with partitions being auto-mounted via NFS on boot.

Warpnow
May 2nd, 2011, 06:43 AM
Because its extremely simple. It does exactly what it is supposed to.

Boxee has more features, but still leaves alot to be wanted.

Odd, huh?

Haha, its just that...well...Boxee had Hulu, which was awesome, and now its gone...so Boxee feels incomplete to me. Boxee is supposed to unite our streaming content but without Hulu...

aktiwers
May 2nd, 2011, 11:53 AM
It has some nice plugins..

_outlawed_
May 2nd, 2011, 12:49 PM
The only real bad issue with XBMC is the fact that once you open it fullscreen you can't alt-tab out of it.

It's nice little media suite, but I still prefer Winamp and VLC.

aktiwers
May 3rd, 2011, 07:21 PM
XBMC + Icefilms = <3

BrokenKingpin
May 3rd, 2011, 07:25 PM
You judge Media Center software only on the number of apps it has available? That seems a bit strange... it is not an IPhone.

People like it because it is a good media center, meaning it manages and plays media very well, and is quite stable. It may have a few less features than Boxee, but a hell of a lot less bugs too.

Retlol
May 3rd, 2011, 10:37 PM
My media client is a ps3 with ps3mediaserver on the back end.

Serves all my videos without a hitch, system starts in seconds, has browser if needed.

I tried the likes of boxee and xbmc and a few others but all are to slow for my needs.

ki4jgt
May 3rd, 2011, 11:10 PM
You judge Media Center software only on the number of apps it has available? That seems a bit strange... it is not an IPhone.

People like it because it is a good media center, meaning it manages and plays media very well, and is quite stable. It may have a few less features than Boxee, but a hell of a lot less bugs too.

No, I'm looking for functionality. Apps, just happen to be a + for that.

ki4jgt
May 3rd, 2011, 11:11 PM
It has some nice plugins..

Where does one find these plugins? B/c All I can find is a text only web browser, an rss reader and maybe a couple of other good ones. Do you have to download them from thirdparties?

WannabeFantasma
May 3rd, 2011, 11:28 PM
For me well I first thought there was no hardware acceleration for movies in other media players :D

I watched couple of parts of a series (downloaded) on Totem recently, and every time I double clicked I had to click on Totem to make it "get on top" again and then I had to make it fullscreen again, it annoyed me :D )

With xbmc once you watched it you press stop, press left arrow key and enter and you're good to go...

+ the coolness factor....8-)