PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Qt, Unity, KDE

MountainX
May 1st, 2011, 06:52 AM
Will there be anything resulting from the upcoming Qt integration into Ubuntu 11.10 that will bring more gnome apps to KDE? Will this benefit KDE in any way?

Gnome 3 and Unity are both making me take another look at KDE. I like the KDE environment, but I tend to prefer a lot of gnome applications so I haven't moved to KDE yet. If I could easily get all my favorite applications well-integrated into KDE, that would be ideal. Am I just being naive in thinking this move could benefit KDE too?

Copper Bezel
May 1st, 2011, 07:36 AM
In a long term sense, Canonical's stated goal is to get Ubuntu applications to render natively in each environment. In a short term sense, I'm not certain that I understand the problem - KDE can already integrate GTK apps quite smoothly, and there's no difficulty in changing your default applications over to the Gnome apps. What problems have you had, specifically, with GTK apps under KDE?

MountainX
May 1st, 2011, 07:54 PM
In a long term sense, Canonical's stated goal is to get Ubuntu applications to render natively in each environment.

Sounds good.

In a short term sense, I'm not certain that I understand the problem - KDE can already integrate GTK apps quite smoothly, and there's no difficulty in changing your default applications over to the Gnome apps. What problems have you had, specifically, with GTK apps under KDE?

It's been several months since I used KDE, so I can't give specific examples. I'm going to give it a try again soon. I have to decide which distro to try.

I'd like a KDE distro that uses debian package management, has KDE 4.6, linux kernel 2.6.38+, Libre Office, Firefox 4.0+, is on a scheduled release cycle (no rolling updates), ...
I'd like to be able to add XSane, Gimp, Qalculate (full GUI), StarDict, ...
I'd like to be able to use my Apple Magic Trackpad.

As far as I know, Kubuntu 11.04 might be my best choice given that criteria... any other suggestions?

SantaFe
May 1st, 2011, 08:27 PM
Have to throw the Xubuntu hat into the ring myself. It uses GTK like Ubuntu, so most all GNOME apps & themes (except Xubuntu uses XFWM instead of metacity for the window manager) will work good. You can even add XFApplet plugin & be able to use some of your Ubuntu plug-ins on your Xfce panel.

Copper Bezel
May 1st, 2011, 08:34 PM
I don't know, guys, I spent about 30 minutes on KDE and got consistent (GTK, admittedly) theming across all apps. I then spent about a day getting my Qt apps to render properly in Gnome, ultimately needing to install a Qt configuration tool that doesn't come by default with either desktop.

MountainX
May 1st, 2011, 08:41 PM
I don't know, guys, I spent about 30 minutes on KDE and got consistent (GTK, admittedly) theming across all apps. I then spent about a day getting my Qt apps to render properly in Gnome, ultimately needing to install a Qt configuration tool that doesn't come by default with either desktop.

Yeah, I have taken that approach in the past too. That's what I'll do again.

But thanks to the link (http://castrojo.tumblr.com/post/4795149014/the-power-users-guide-to-unity) in your sig, Copper Bezel, I now know that the "global" application menus can be disabled in Unity. I'm going to disable them and try Unity again too. Then I can choose between Unity and KDE more intelligently. I still think KDE will be more to my liking, but we'll see...

I hope the result of these new developments (Qt integration, Unity, etc.) is has a positive impact across all Linux desktops.

BTW, how many KDE users are there worldwide? Anyone have an estimate?

3Miro
May 1st, 2011, 10:00 PM
I'd like a KDE distro that uses debian package management, has KDE 4.6, linux kernel 2.6.38+, Libre Office, Firefox 4.0+, is on a scheduled release cycle (no rolling updates), ...
I'd like to be able to add XSane, Gimp, Qalculate (full GUI), StarDict, ...
I'd like to be able to use my Apple Magic Trackpad.
?

Kubuntu is the first to come to mind, then PCLinuxOS (used .rpm packages, but manages them with Synaptic).