PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Synaptic Package Manager problems after upgrading to 11.04

ByTheNine
May 1st, 2011, 06:28 AM
Pre update (10.10) Synaptic Package Manager would allow me to delete residual config files by clicking the Apply button after marking them. Post update, the Apply button does not highlight or allow me to click it when I mark packages for complete removal.

Any ideas?

StephenWoods69
May 1st, 2011, 02:33 PM
It seems you have to install or remove something at the same time to remove the residue config in synaptic

ByTheNine
May 2nd, 2011, 09:54 PM
It seems you have to install or remove something at the same time to remove the residue config in synaptic

What do you mean? The packages I'm trying to remove are libraries of some sort. I don't even know what they're from.

In the past with 10.10 I would periodically check SPM for residuals and then just delete them. I wouldn't know what they were from. I'm just wondering if possibly it could be an 11.04 issue and/or what could be done about it.

tedrogers
May 9th, 2011, 03:49 PM
Hello,

I am having this exact problem too.

I have tried removing the residual files from synaptic, when they are marked the green Tick does not highlight, so the removal process cannot be started.

When I try and purge through the terminal, it also fails.

The following command produces no result, as it reports there are no autoremove packages, yet they still remain in Synaptic:

sudo apt-get autoremove --purge

Any ideas? It's very annoying.

Thanks.

NEXTLOVER
May 10th, 2011, 11:38 AM
Welp, I'm also having the same problem with this & it IS very annoying. I've searched a lil' bit around and it seems this "bug" has been going on since April... & it seems to affect ppl that have upgraded rather than a clean install. So hopefully someone can provide a solution soon.

tedrogers
May 10th, 2011, 10:13 PM
Welp, I'm also having the same problem with this & it IS very annoying. I've searched a lil' bit around and it seems this "bug" has been going on since April... & it seems to affect ppl that have upgraded rather than a clean install. So hopefully someone can provide a solution soon.

Got excited at the new reply then, only to find it is someone else with the same problem and not a solution. 20 lashes for you! :P

ByTheNine
May 13th, 2011, 06:53 AM
Well guys, you'd think since this is happening to several of us there'd be a solution! Maybe there is now, and I'm behind? Anyone?

ByTheNine
May 15th, 2011, 09:00 AM
I found something that may help. It's not a perfect fix to the problems with Synaptic Package Manager, but it seems to be able to remove residuals. It's a program simply called "Remove orphaned packages". You can get it from the Ubuntu Software Center.

I would prefer that something be done about the problems with SPM, but until then I'm going to use this.

tedrogers
June 6th, 2011, 04:41 PM
I will give that a go and if I'm not back it worked! ;)

June 6th, 2011, 04:50 PM
Would Ubuntu Tweak work in this case? Worth a try, eh?