PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 11.04 upgrade failed with 3 minutes to go

egruber
May 1st, 2011, 03:40 AM
I was upgrading my Thinkpad T60 to 11.04. With about 3 minutes to go, the screen went dark and my Caps Lock Indicator started blinking. Nothing happened after that. I had to force power-off the laptop and of course it won't boot because the install/upgrade did not complete.

What do I do now? Any way to recover without losing the files I had on the laptop. Shame on me for not backing up first...but every other upgrade was flawless. This was the first time I had an issue.

Any help is appreciated!!!

Hedgehog1
May 1st, 2011, 03:46 AM
If you have a LiveCD/LiveUSB (even a pre-natty one), you can boot from that and copy your files to an external hard drive or USB stick.

You will need a Natty LiveCD/LiveUSB.

You can create it using your PC running from the older LiveCD/liveUSB. Download the Natty ISO to your hard drive, and then create a LiveCD or LiveUSB from that ISO.

Alternatively, you can create a Natty LiveCD/LiveUSB using another computer you may have access to.

We will need that Natty LiveCD/LiveUSB to do a clean Natty install.

The Hedge

:KS

egruber
May 1st, 2011, 03:50 AM
OK. I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

egruber
May 1st, 2011, 02:34 PM
If you have a LiveCD/LiveUSB (even a pre-natty one), you can boot from that and copy your files to an external hard drive or USB stick.

You will need a Natty LiveCD/LiveUSB.

You can create it using your PC running from the older LiveCD/liveUSB. Download the Natty ISO to your hard drive, and then create a LiveCD or LiveUSB from that ISO.

Alternatively, you can create a Natty LiveCD/LiveUSB using another computer you may have access to.

We will need that Natty LiveCD/LiveUSB to do a clean Natty install.

The Hedge

:KS

I created a Natty CD from the Ubuntu site. When started, it only gave me two choices, a 'try' mode and 'install' mode. I started the 'try' mode which came up fine...but I cannot see any of my files. All the directories have zero files. If I select to Install it, it tells me it can install 11.04 alongside 11.04..which I assume is the bad version. But if I do that, how can I get to the files on the corrupt install of 11.04? Please advise.

egruber
May 1st, 2011, 05:42 PM
Ok. I found a way to re-upgrade using the install cd and most things are back. But honestly, I hate the new UI. I wish everyone would stop thinking that all computers have to look like Macs.