PDA

View Full Version : How to propperly write a wikipedia page

themarker0
May 1st, 2011, 03:14 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/MyBB

I fail to really see what was done wrong? I see other pages there with less in the same catergory or stupidier ones that are deemed legitimate. How can i help this FOSS forum software get listed on wikipedia.

_outlawed_
May 1st, 2011, 03:20 AM
Never trust Wikipedia to be accurate.

tgalati4
May 1st, 2011, 03:23 AM
Have the project leader do an interview on FLOSS Weekly, that will at least get a review and some commentary on twit.tv and might generate enough buzz to keep the wikipedia article alive.

themarker0
May 1st, 2011, 04:48 AM
Thanks guys, I'll get them to do that asap.

Dale61
May 1st, 2011, 10:50 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/MyBB

I fail to really see what was done wrong? I see other pages there with less in the same catergory or stupidier ones that are deemed legitimate. How can i help this FOSS forum software get listed on wikipedia.

Anyone who can't spell PROPPERLY shouldn't be allowed to display it for all to see.

Paqman
May 1st, 2011, 12:12 PM
I fail to really see what was done wrong?

Nothing was wrong, as such. It's just that the software package isn't really notable enough to warrant a page.

I see other pages there with less in the same catergory or stupidier ones that are deemed legitimate.

The review process isn't foolproof, especially on obscure articles that don't have lots of people editing them.

How can i help this FOSS forum software get listed on wikipedia.

Wikipedia does not exist to promote software. It exists to document software that is already popular. Move on.

Never trust anything online to be accurate.

FTFY.

As with anything online, check the sources. Wikipedia is better than many sites in that it is explicitly referenced, and allows you to very easily flag for deletion anything that you know to be wrong. If you see a fact that you're dubious of, flag it as "citation needed" right then and there.

Lucradia
May 1st, 2011, 12:55 PM
Also note, Ubuntu wiki doesn't use mediawiki, in case you wanted to use wikicode, lol.