PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] VMware & 11.04

eea
May 1st, 2011, 01:59 AM
Moving from 10.10 to 11.04 on i3-530 IGP. Launching VMware and opening any virtual machine results in the VMware window opening and quickly vanishing. The VMware process is still running without any display. VMware runs on 10.10 but without any hardware acceleration. How can I get VMware to run, and how do I enable hardware acceleration?

TIA, Ernest

garvinrick4
May 1st, 2011, 02:09 AM
Moving from 10.10 to 11.04 on i3-530 IGP. Launching VMware and opening any virtual machine results in the VMware window opening and quickly vanishing. The VMware process is still running without any display. VMware runs on 10.10 but without any hardware acceleration. How can I get VMware to run, and how do I enable hardware acceleration?

TIA, Ernest As far as I know VMware does not work well at all with the gnomes unity interface at this time. Most likely is the compiz problem so would say not to much you can do.
Does work well with 10.10 though doesn't it.

eea
May 1st, 2011, 02:24 AM
VMware works in 10.10 but I still do not have any hardware acceleration on i3-530 Intel Integrated Graphics. Does anyone know how to enable 3D acceleration for this GPU?
I guess I will have to wait some for 11.04 support. However I am building a Sandy Bridge Computer when the Z68 boards become available and want to take advantage of the IGPU so any help in this area will be appreciated.

Ernest

garvinrick4
May 1st, 2011, 08:43 PM
VMware works in 10.10 but I still do not have any hardware acceleration on i3-530 Intel Integrated Graphics. Does anyone know how to enable 3D acceleration for this GPU?
I guess I will have to wait some for 11.04 support. However I am building a Sandy Bridge Computer when the Z68 boards become available and want to take advantage of the IGPU so any help in this area will be appreciated.

Ernest I have a newer HP laptop and in VMware in 10.10 I can not even run docky with any decent success much less go to full on 3D. In partition installs in same machine can run anything that is thrown at me, it is just a VMware thing and that seems to be that. If you want to see Ubuntu in all of its glory put it in a partition and let her go. The
only thing I install in versions below 11.04 (run by compiz) is install compiz, compiz gnome and ccsm and such you will find them all in Ubuntu Software Center. Type in compiz in window.