PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Hope somebody can help.

Limada
May 1st, 2011, 12:20 AM
Hi.

I would love to go back to my Gnome Desktop, how can I do it?
Thanks!

MAFoElffen
May 1st, 2011, 12:32 AM
Hi.

I would love to go back to my Gnome Desktop, how can I do it?
Thanks!
On a basic no frill install of Natty right?

So easy once you know "where" to look:

At the login screen, select the user >
The password box will appear...
At the same time, there will be startup options that appear in the bar at the bottom of the screen, halfway across will be a pull-down box that will allow you to select Ubuntu, Ubuntu "Classic." Ubuntu Classic without affects... etc. You probly want the Classic. The classic is the old, familiar gnome desktop.

Select it > type in your password and go on. It will remember and stay at whatever you selected last as the option.

Hedgehog1
May 1st, 2011, 12:34 AM
Some nice pictures to add to MAFoElffen's post:

Run Natty/11.04 and still use the 'Classic’ UI: Natty Info: Your UI options (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1741293)

The Hedge

:KS

Limada
May 1st, 2011, 01:15 AM

At the same time, there will be startup options that appear in the bar at the bottom of the screen, halfway across will be a pull-down box that will allow you to select Ubuntu, Ubuntu "Classic." Ubuntu Classic without affects... etc. You probly want the Classic. The classic is the old, familiar gnome desktop.

Select it > type in your password and go on. It will remember and stay at whatever you selected last as the option.

What a fast answer!

It worked ok.

Very kind of you.

Thanks ;).

MAFoElffen
May 1st, 2011, 01:16 AM
Some nice pictures to add to MAFoElffen's post:
Run Natty/11.04 and still use the 'Classic’ UI: Natty Info: Your UI options (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1741293)
The Hedge
:KS
Thanks Hedgehog!!! Seems like I've been describing the same things over and over again since the release Thursday. Visual is so much easier to describe.... LOL

Limada
May 1st, 2011, 01:19 AM
Thank you for the additional info.

:)

In2Blues
May 1st, 2011, 01:37 AM

I've been trying to go to Classic but, unfortunately, I don't have that bottom bar when I try to log in. I also don't have a bottom task bar (which I miss greatly :D), nor the Applications and System menus, only the Places menu.

I've been using Ubuntu since 10.04 and upgraded to 10.10 with no problems. However, my upgrade to 11.04 has been problematic for me as a new Linux user.

Can someone please help me to fix these issues without having to do a complete reinstall of 10.04?

Thanks in advance.

UPDATE: I found how to get the box to choose Classic. Click the power button (top right), choose System Settings, then under System choose Login Screen. I did that and was able to get Classic, but some of my icons were missing. So, I downloaded the ISO and installed from CD. Now, all the menus are back, but many of my programs are no longer there. Looks like I have to re-install a bunch of them. :-(

billio
May 1st, 2011, 08:19 PM
I don't have this option to select Classic or Unity when I login. I could only login to Unity. (I upgraded from 10.10).

There is an a option programme that lets you select login - Login Manager ? (I can't check because I can't make Ubuntu work !!!) - from which I choose Classic.

I re-started and now when I login the system freezes up. It opens two applications that I open on startup (Zim and Alarm), but key presses, mouse clicks don't work, no Gnome panel etc ... . I have to switch the computer off to get it to start again when it ends up in the freeze.

Interestingly, it shows an "Elementary" icon in the top left hand corner. Where did that come from ?.

How can you start Ubuntu in some form of safe mode ?.

----------------
OK I see the solution.

If you login without a password then you do not get a chance to select the desktop you require. That would seem to me an user interface error.

The work around is to select "Other", select Unity 2D, Classic etc and then login as your normal user. Not very obvious.