PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] external monitor crashes natty

joe carolan
April 30th, 2011, 11:44 PM
Can anyone tell me how to get out of unity desktop to reconnect my external monitor.
After upgrade from maverick to natty my monitor goes crazy and i cant use my system unless i disconnect monitor and reboot . I have tried to change to classic option by selecting classic option via the control panel in unity ,and rebooted. but my system does not ask for a password, and when i boot laptop, if i select Ubuntu i go strait to unity desktop.
can anyone help. please ?.
will unity support an external monitor ? or do i just have driver/ or set up problems.

Ken UK
April 30th, 2011, 11:46 PM
Oh goodness I hope that isnt going to happen to me too when I upgrade my laptop as I do the same and use an external monitor sometimes. Ill give it ago from LiveCD and tell you what happens.

teachop
May 1st, 2011, 12:12 AM
I had a very similar thing happen, caused by changing dual monitor settings, with Intel core integrated graphics laptop. I had to disconnect the external monitor and go in and use the Monitors settings with it disconnected, and the bad setting got overwritten, and I could finally connect the monitor again.

What caused it for me was I set the external monitor as the primary monitor, and then disabled the laptop screen so I could keep it closed. Crash, with no recovery.

The thing that was really strange about it was I have both Xubuntu and Ubuntu installed, and I could log into Xubuntu and it would work fine as intended, Ubuntu would crash. The only way to keep it running is to set it so the laptop monitor is enabled (even though it is closed).

Ken UK
May 1st, 2011, 12:13 AM
Ok I think its a problem with your upgrade which is why I plan to do a fresh install. Mine works fine just like in 10.10.

Have you tried to use the menu at login to choose 'Ubuntu Classic'?

EDIT: Oh really? dam thats how I use it but didn’t try it, only tried with both going independant...