PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Acer aspire upgrade issue

jomacintosh
April 30th, 2011, 11:02 PM
Hey gang. Just upgraded from 10 to 11. Did the reboot but now I'm stuck on the ubuntu splash screen. I'm not a dual boot system, so a lot of the questions I've seen here won't help me. Any advice would be appreciated fir sure. I don't want to reinstall if I can help it, but I can if I have to. Thanks all.

Hedgehog1
May 1st, 2011, 12:56 AM
Right now this situation appears to be vestiges of pre-natty setup and video drivers causing this.

You best option for long term stability is to reinstall Nattty as a clean install.

Please use the LiveCd/LiveUSB to copy your data to an external hard drive or USB Stick.

If you have a separate '/home' partition, this is much easier as you can do a manual install (called 'Something Else') and format the '/' (root) partition, and DO NOT FORMAT the '/home' partition for a reasonably painless clean install.

The Hedge

:KS

Dale61
May 1st, 2011, 01:53 AM
I upgraded my Acer Aspire via the Upgrade Manager (start to finish took just over two hours), but like almost everyone else, I don't have wireless connectivity.

I still have the carry-over problem of not being able to open my DVD tray by the button; I just type 'eject' in a terminal to do that.

Apparently, if your 10.10 is NOT FULLY up to date, then you may encounter problems with your upgrade. In the days leading up to my upgrade, I kept checking the Update Manager to see if there was anything to install, and would also do a manual check.