PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No more desktop effects after upgrade..

RobotGymnast
April 30th, 2011, 09:05 PM
I upgraded to Ubuntu 11.04, and now I no longer have wobbly windows, or any of my other custom effects, like animations. How can I get these set back up?

Copper Bezel
April 30th, 2011, 09:25 PM
I'm assuming you're using the Classic desktop?

If so, run compiz --replace.

If this works, I think you need to run gconf-editor and navigate to desktop -> gnome -> session -> required_components and change the field windowmanager from metacity to gnome-wm. This will allow Gnome to launch with Compiz as the window manager, providing your desktop effects.

Since the Classic desktop is also the fallback for video cards that can't run Compiz, 11.04 forces it to start with Metacity instead. Previously, the key in gconf was set to gnome-wm, which uses your default window manager as set in Appearance Preferences (by activating desktop effects.)

I think.

Try it with compiz --replace first, though. It's also possible that a regression has made your video card no longer support Compiz.

manzdagratiano
April 30th, 2011, 09:28 PM
These settings may also have been disabled. To re-enable them, install Compiz Config Settings Manager:

sudo apt-get install ccsm

and then re-enable them in ccsm.

Copper Bezel
April 30th, 2011, 09:36 PM
The package name is actually compizconfig-settings-manager . The command is ccsm . I make that mistake frequently enough, myself. = )

filster
April 30th, 2011, 10:05 PM
Also check if your graphic driver is working properly (eg. do you have any other problems, like Unity not working or other stuff like docks (that need 3D support) not working etc. ?).

RobotGymnast
April 30th, 2011, 10:09 PM
I'm assuming you're using the Classic desktop?

If so, run compiz --replace.

If this works, I think you need to run gconf-editor and navigate to desktop -> gnome -> session -> required_components and change the field windowmanager from metacity to gnome-wm. This will allow Gnome to launch with Compiz as the window manager, providing your desktop effects.

Since the Classic desktop is also the fallback for video cards that can't run Compiz, 11.04 forces it to start with Metacity instead. Previously, the key in gconf was set to gnome-wm, which uses your default window manager as set in Appearance Preferences (by activating desktop effects.)

I think.

Try it with compiz --replace first, though. It's also possible that a regression has made your video card no longer support Compiz.

The first time I booted, it said something about my hardware not supporting Unity, and booting into classic.

compiz --replace makes it work, but much more slowly than it used to! Also, my windowmanager is set to compiz, not metacity nor gnome-wm. Setting it to gnome-wm and rebooting makes no difference; still no effects.

Copper Bezel
April 30th, 2011, 11:49 PM
Yeah, this is definitely starting to sound like a video card driver regression issue. What's your card?

RobotGymnast
April 30th, 2011, 11:58 PM
Yeah, this is definitely starting to sound like a video card driver regression issue. What's your card?

Some crappy integrated Intel laptop card. Looks like Intel GM965.