PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Don't like the new interface in GNOME 3...can I change it?

keiththewolf
April 30th, 2011, 09:03 PM
To be blunt, I don't like the setup of the new interface on Ubuntu 11.04. I find it hard to find what i want. I like how it was in 10.10, when you clicked on the category you wanted, and it'd give you all the options. It was easy, and efficient for me. Probably because I grew up on Windows, so the task menu is second nature to me. But this new interface bothers me. I can find stuff quickly, or easily anymore. SO what I want to know is, can i change it back? Or change the interface, so that it will function just like it did in Ubuntu 10.10?

3Miro
April 30th, 2011, 09:19 PM
Logout then select Ubuntu Classic or Ubuntu Classic No Effects and you will be back to what is more or less 10.10.

For the record, Ubuntu 11.04 comes with Gnome 2 and a shell/interface called Unity. Gnome 3 a different things with its own interface.

cecilpierce
April 30th, 2011, 09:19 PM
To be blunt, I don't like the setup of the new interface on Ubuntu 11.04. I find it hard to find what i want. I like how it was in 10.10, when you clicked on the category you wanted, and it'd give you all the options. It was easy, and efficient for me. Probably because I grew up on Windows, so the task menu is second nature to me. But this new interface bothers me. I can find stuff quickly, or easily anymore. SO what I want to know is, can i change it back? Or change the interface, so that it will function just like it did in Ubuntu 10.10?

try logging out and and back into ubuntu classic, you can choose it at the bottom after you pick user.

keiththewolf
May 1st, 2011, 02:00 AM
Thanks everyone! I have it back to what I fin helpful, and I can once again play around with Ubuntu. ^^ Thank you. :)

manzdagratiano
May 1st, 2011, 03:48 AM

I would correct you in that what you are running is Unity, and not Gnome 3, with 11.04. One more incredible thing of note is, which I discovered myself today, that in Unity, if you click the 'Applications' icon in the launcher, then, at the top right corner is listed the menu 'All Applications'. If you click on it, you will find it drop down to reveal the very same application categories you are familiar with from Gnome2.

This really sealed the deal. I had not logged into Unity in two weeks, but starting today, I am trying to use Unity full time, and get used to the new philosophy.