PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Recovering data on formatted partition

WizardMagus
April 30th, 2011, 08:31 PM
Long story short, I had my external HD plugged into another computer, and accidentally began to format the drive. Realizing what was happening I pulled out the HD. This drive has a number of important files on it which I wish to recover.

The drive has four partitions, and only the one I am interested in got formatted. When I plug in the drive now, it recognizes all four partitions, but thinks the main partition is empty. The old and new formats are both NTFS.

What further information do you need to help me solve the problem?

Thank you so much for helping me out. This drive has the only existing copies of many sentimental pictures, recordings, etc, and this means a lot to me.

mr_luksom
May 8th, 2011, 01:21 AM
Try photorec, it worked for me.

Basically it looks for the headers of pictures, movies and documents.

You need another drive at least as large as the one you are recovering, and you will lose all filenames and directory structure. If you want these things, you will need paid windows software instead.

diablo75
May 8th, 2011, 08:38 AM
Best software I've used for this kind of stuff is GetDataBack for NTFS by Runtime Software. Good luck!

geazzy
May 8th, 2011, 10:37 AM
Try photorec, it worked for me.

Basically it looks for the headers of pictures, movies and documents.

You need another drive at least as large as the one you are recovering, and you will lose all filenames and directory structure. If you want these things, you will need paid windows software instead.

Photorec, it worked for me too :D