PDA

View Full Version : [other] Live USB slow

April 30th, 2011, 07:10 PM
I had a persistant live USB of ubuntu 8.10. This worked painfully until i stupidly thought of clicking the upgrade button to upgrade to 9.04 (seemed to be as high as it could go in one leap). This corrupted the installation. I formatted the usb and installed ubuntu onto it again but this time with 10.04 which was the only other disk i had and found that it now takes 40 minutes plus to load compared to sub 5 before. Also absolutely everything is running slowly. The built in games have lag in the region of 5 to 10 minutes on everything you do. The text editor has noticeable delay on all key entries. Even simple hello world python programs are slow.

This is basically an unusable experience

Is there any known reason for 10.04 to not work and 8.10 to work fine?
Unrelated - java would never install under 8.1, universe and multiverse enabled. error had something along the lines of no repository.

It is being run on a dell inspiron 1525, 2ghz single core, 1gb RAM, no hard disk

C.S.Cameron
April 30th, 2011, 07:44 PM
I have just dropped the 11.04 iso onto my multiboot flash drive, (made using MultiBootUSB).
It seems to be running at least as fast as previous versions.
I plan on doing a full install to flash drive later this weekend.

April 30th, 2011, 08:03 PM
This is 10.04 not 11.04 although multibooting a USB seems like an interesting idea.